Dumaguete Info Search

Getting cash in Duma

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Rye83, Mar 24, 2011.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    If you get the bike, you may give some thought to asking for help from an experienced big bike rider on whatever you need to be aware of. I'm sure members on the forum would help you out. Good luck with your funding and riding.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Oh! Oh!

:( Not sure a 650 cc is the right bike to regain your experience on Wyre, as a Big Bike rider for over 40 years, I can only think problems. We just do not have the sort of roads for a powerful Bike (Sports) Speed Thrills and Speed Kills, Just my Opinion my friend but give it some thought before you venture out. It may not be you at fault but Travel the Highway as far as Bacong and I think you will understand what I mean. Idiots highway! :eek: Best of Luck, BTW, did you try on of the many Cooperatives in Dgte? They seem to thrive on Short term loans.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Jack: you are right. 650cc is a big bike here but a 600cc bike is usually the starter bike. I am not new to motorcycles as I mentioned before. I am also not a teenager, I'm not looking to be riding through Dumaguete at 160kph. However, the steering is my concern with the sport bike, i know it is very different from Harleys, dirt bikes and scooters. Either way I plan on getting the bike, i am open to anyone who would like to give a few lessons as well.

4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Nobody asked me but, I think a bit of extra power doesn't hurt when blowing the rust off of your 2 wheel skills. Torque saved me from dropping a friends new V 45 magna when the rear wheel broke loose for an instant on the very first corner. I hadn't been up on 2 wheels in about 10 years.

5. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If you can ride, you can ride a sport bike. The biggest thing with them is the riding position that has you leaning forward. Teenagers don't mind it, but older folks find it irritating.

6. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    here is my 2 peso's worth.

Been a "big bike rider" for years back in Australia, 1000cc plus, 200, 250 kph, no problem.

Here in the Philippines I own two Honda XR 200 cc motor cycles plus a Kawasaki Rouser also 200cc's. Have riden around Panay, Negros, Cebu etc and have to say they are big enough.

When I arrived about 3 yrs ago put a lot of time and effort into trying to get a big bike, too many hassels, corruption, and unknowns.

By unknowns I mean riding around a blind corner only to find either a dog, water buffalo, goat or child standing in the middle. Anything above 80 kph for me means my eyes are burning holes in the road checking out the hazzards seen or not seen, rather than take in the scenery. I have not mentioned the f..... big potholes or the other "drivers".

Anyway kawasaki are now importing a very good and reasonably priced 650, Suzuki have a very overpriced 650 also that can be bought. Another thing with your shiney 650. Just came across from IloIlo to Bacalod on the RoRo, choppy sea and the bike encrusted with salt. no drama on the cheaper bikes but can easily bring you to tears on a more expensive option.

Safe riding. Many areas have active trail bike clubs. I have one of the Xr's stripped down and its amazing what sort of abuse it takes. great fun, see very different places and good exercise.

7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lots of opinions out there. I appreciate all the input. I don't really know what else to say that I haven't already, don't want to sound like a broken record.

Oh, someone commented on salt water being on the bike. No worries, if the paint falls off I have a couple cans of spray paint.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Enthusiasm.

:D Just love that enthusiasm here,:wink:

Jack P. :smile:

9. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Which model 650 Kawasaki is available?

10. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Someone mentioned on here a while ago that KLR650s were available here. I've owned a lot of bikes and my KLR was without a doubt the best general pupose bike I have ever owned. There are better bikes for single track and better for highway but you would be hard pressed to find something better for the roads around here. Tremendous internet enthusiast group to help you through any repair problems you might have.
    Sadly my arthritic hips won't let me get a leg over the high seat anymore.