Dumaguete Info Search

Goat Meat

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by PatO, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Do any of you eat and enjoy goat meat? Yesterday I was telling a local neighbor about a great steak I had. He told me goat meat is far and away his favorite and he didn't care for cow. Until then I never thought about people eating goat but I like some lamb, so today when I was walking my dog I decided to check out a goat that was tied up near the street (that my dog wanted to attack). I was surprised how bad the goat smelled, I mean I would gross you out if I tried to describe the odor. I wondered how the hell someone can eat something that smelled that bad.
    My wife told me if you don't cook it right, it will indeed smell bad. She said her dad is one of the few in their boondocks barangay who knows how to cook it.

I guess this is why I don't see Lechon Goat advertised.

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Hey Pat, I know a few cows that dont smell to good too!
    Seriously though Pat, we eat goat here in UK, well some of us do.
    It can be tough if it's not cooked slowly but a lot of our Caribbean friends eat it.

3. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Pat, it's usually the nanny goat that gives off a very strong pong, especially if she is in season. If you smooth her coat, the smell seems to cling to you for days.

If the strong smell is coming from a billy goat, it's probably just being the same as some humans - scruffy, fat and smelly. But I'm not thinking about anyone in particular here ..... :D:D

4. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    The most obnoxious animal smell comes from a pig in a sloppy pig pen IMHO.
    As far as goat meat, I have had Calderitas made from goat meat many times, and it was very good.
    Ron

6. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Ron, could you tell the difference from the traditionally cooked beef calderitas? Is there a wild or funky taste to goat meat? I'm sure with you previous world travels you've tried a number of exotic foods and like a lot of long time guys here, will eat anything put in front of them, me, not so.

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Goat meat is sold at hypermart right next to the ground beef.....

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Pat, the goat calderitas have a slightly unique taste but it's hard to describe. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. As for other exotic foods you hit the nail on the head. I once finished my lunch on a remote pacific island then realized it was my friend Rover:eek:
    Ron

9. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There are goats tethered across from our place nearly every day. I sometimes pet them or talk to them. Never noticed any with a bad odor, and it may just be how they are taken care of whether they do or not.
    I've never eaten any that I know of, but these goats are closely related to the Pronghorn Antelope and the various kinds of deer we have in the USA and other places. So, I expect the meat if properly taken care of would taste similar.

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.