Dumaguete Info Search

Great new restaurant

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by SLK, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    And here locally hmmmm Bulad and Balut:D

2. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    In the US we are not confined to "one specialty" since we are a country made up of all the citizens of the world. We have restaurants of every nation represented in all our major cities. Who do you think opens these restaurants? Immigrants who bring their trade and skills to a new country to first serve their own people then people from other countries who want to experiment.

In Chicago I can have Italian food from a 5th generation family of restauranteers who either make or import the best sausage, cheese and ingredents from Italy. German food and micro brewed beer? The owners will tell you they have food better than in Germany which may or may not be true but it shows you the pride they take in their craft. Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Swiss. Mexican food as good or better than south of the border. South American and Central American food places are plentyful. Asian food? Every country in the Pacific rim can be found represented, even Filipino food. Thai, Korean, Chinese, Japanese. Not only Chinese but many different styles of Chinese cooking. Arab or Mediterranian food. Ethiopian food I found in Detroit. Many great Indian restaurants all over the country. Not only restaurants but ethnic grocery stores so you have access to the ingredients and spices for any kind of food you wish to try and duplicate. Ethnic butchers and cheese makers produce their food the traditional way. I could eat in a different ethnic restaurant for a month.

In Chicago, the customers are knowledgeable enough to make or break a business. Serve bad food and your business fails. Fish and chips? Battered fried fish and french fries! Wow! Now there's something to brag about.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I couldn't agree more! :D

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I would agree with you, if I would be in Europe. but I am in Dumaguete and there are plenty of creatures crawling along the street who can't decide if they are male or female, so the mixed name fits perfect into the picture... :p

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Chi Town, I'm not at all impressed by that list of nations of which you can find restaurants in Chicago.
    Sure Chicago is a lot bigger than my small home town in the Netherlands (only 250000 inhabitants) but nevertheless having ALL these mentioned restaurant-types as well.
    That's nothing news in this modern world where people from all over the world go and try in other countries.
    No "US claim" on that :smile:
    But on-topic again ........ I see new restaurants coming in Dumaguete but also going.
    Anyone knows if the Mediterian restaurant beside Nicanor ('Sultan' or something like that) has been closed for good ?.
    Since several days I see the restaurant closed. The owner/chef cook is a English guy but originaly from Cyprus.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    yes, and it is certainly better like this, unless you like chicken 5 days on a stick, reheated cooled down in uncountable cycles ...

7. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    The Chicago Metropolitan Statistical Area in 2008 had a population of 9,569,624 and if you think a town of 250,000 in the Netherlands can match the types and numbers of restaurants that Chicago has,well, good for you. I'm sure your Tex-Mex food is outstanding.

8. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Reading is no art, even GOOD reading is no art but sometimes it looks that way for people.
    But it's good to see that you're proud on your town, Chi(cago)town.
    Hope to visit it once during one of my next culinair trips.

9. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can have all of them..

I drop 25lbs everytime I come here, I lose interest in eating and look like a POW. The food's always medicore, there's no art to food prep in PI at all, service at restaurants is hit or miss, and there's always an excuse from the owner.

Even going into the new Coco Amigos is like entering the tower of Babel, it takes 3 or 4 tries to get a straight answer to anything..

You never know what one restaurant's version of some dish is going to be.. Nuts

I'll be back in the US in 2 weeks. Great food and attentive waitresses. Nothing fancy, just things done right.

10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I don't disagree, but the food here has had the opposite effect on me. I think I have gained more interest in eating here. I took the food from home for granted. Now I always look forward to the challenge of finding a good place to eat and enjoy myself more when I find that place.

Actually, it's more the lack of ingredients that I have a problem with as sometimes you can't beat a good home cooked meal. Rarely can I find a restaurant which can cook a better steak than a BBQ obsessed friend or family member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.