Dumaguete Info Search

Greedy Landlords

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    CHE, if a local has houses like Dane rented, that means he has money and connections. It will be interesting to see to bring him to court. The next question is if you do so if you wil still enjoy living there, cause most likely your neighbours are closer to your landlord (if not relatives).

in general to the "rent or buy" question. it's a big difference if you wanna retire or if you work. I will not buy anything here cause I don't know what the future brings. I am here since over 2 years now, but it could be over next week, next month, next year. There are also plenty of expats around who work here for a low salary compared to western countries. If you get payed in dollar and the currency goes down 20% in 2.5 years while the prices going up 20% in the same time-period then it is time to think about change places.
    cheers
    Rhoody

2. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi again, yeah we liked going to Torremolinos for their rastro (flea market). We liked living there during those years because things were still inexpensive like meat, seafood and fresh fruits and vegies, etc etc. I loved shopping in downtown Estepona. When we left after we sold our condo, we heard from friends over there that everything has skyrocketed. Shopping in Gibraltar was another thing I liked doing while living in Estepona, Spain. Our american friends with a boat took us there for some shopping and dining. Gibraltar was just across from us. We lived in the fifth floor so we had the magnificent view of the Rock of Gibraltar.

3. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah it sucks...but

It's sad. Most expats come to philippines with the idea set on making philippines their "last stop". Somewhere they can find peace and quiet. Yet some encounter troubles like this (me included).
    Yet...most of us stay. The reason? I think only 1 reason. Filipina asawa. FIlipina asawas are...alas...only found in philippines.
    Yes, its true that beaches are nice. But one shouldnt kid oneself. There are PLENTY of places with very nice beaches. Many with nicer ones, with LIVE corals. And yes, many say that cost of living in philippines is cheaper. But is it? All imported stuff, from tvs to cars are ridiculously overpriced compared to U.S. and other developing countries. Gas/electric are at par or above. Food at restos? Streetfood prices are through the roof! You think its cheap because you bought kiss the balls fishballs for 20pesos--a stick with few balls on it that was deep fried in oil that i wouldnt use as diesel fuel? You go to thailand, china, hongkong, even japan and the streetfoods are 20pesos around and the food quality/selection is incomparable! Food at "nice" restos? Have you really COMPARED? A maincourse in U.S. resto may cost $15, and in phil, $5. But you cant just compare the dollars here. You have to compare the restaurant decor/aircon/staff/quality of ingredients, and also the QUANTITY OF FOOD. I think you know what i am talking about when i say american main course is probably considered to be good for family of 5 here in phil (probably the reason so many are fat like me)! Tuition? I recently was shocked to find out something about the GRADUATE MBA business school at Ateneo de Manila, the #1 bizschool in phil: 99.9% of faculty are attorneys or masters degree (in business and also other areas). Maybe 1 or 2 Ph.D. professors. Can you believe that? You cant even be a professor in U.S. university unless you have a Ph.D... And Everyone knows that 50% of education is what you learn from fellow students. Here, the freshman college student is same age as a junior in highschool in U.S.(do you remember how juvenile you were as a junior in H.S.?). So the tuition is cheaper, but what do you get in quality? Clothes? If you go to tiangae, the prices there are higher than hong kong and ALL the other parts of asia. And the prices at departmentstore brand goods (like GUESS) are HIGHER compared to same goods at stores in other asian countries (and in many cases, slightly late in season). Books? Well, there is no philippine books to speak of. And foreign titles are out of this world expensive. Case in point: Harry Potter the latest is preselling for $15 at eBay. At Nationalbookstore, its $30. Its The only cheaper items are fresh foods. But here too, you get what you pay for. Ever noticed that the goods are cheaper but the selection sucks? I laugh when some vegetables are labeled as "ORGANICALLY GROWN"--that means its just grown like a weed...and it shows. The leaves are all but chewed through... Yes fish is fresh, but again, selection pales. Spagetti sauce? Cheese? (again, dont compare cheap local stuff to real things) way more expensive...
    That brings me to Rhoody's comment about DOLLAR. 20% drop and 20% rise in prices (abrupt to say the least). This makes philippine not so good standard of living in my book. SOme Internet forum sites say you can live like a KING with $1,000 per month. Oh really? King of what? No way in hell you can live like a king with only $1k. You can live comfortably relative to LOCAL STANDARDS IF you lower your standards of living, but KING??? No way!! That's pure bull.
    NO ONE, i am sure, decided to live in philippine because they want to live like the poor locals who make 7,000pesos per month.
    So most have a choice to make, including me, to live in philippine and accept lower standard of living. You may FEEL like a king because the poor locals will still think you are RICH, but you certainly are not for $1k per month!
    For me, I accepted poor choice of fresh foods by widening the selection of spices and sauces. I accepted lower standards of living accommodations (including the fact that i have to watch my back constantly). I accepted many of the cons of living in phil. Why do i accept it? Because i have no choice. My budget is limited... And I cant keep feeling sorry for myself, can i?
    Is my life really that bad? NO! Why? Because i love my wife, and together we are happy. She,and only she (and to a much smaller extent, the beaches and diving :smile: ), makes up for all the shortfalls of living here.
    Stop thinking of all the reasons why i am wrong for a minute, and think to yourself what you would do if your asawa is NOT filipina. Would you consider living here for good? I thought so.
    Well, since i DID decide to live in philippines for good, i have decided to live in dumaguete because it appears to be a place above the rest among phil towns for a variety of reasons.
    I just cross my fingers that i am right!

4. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    anyone who builds in the phils and is not a local is a mug full
    stop unless you can afford to lose all.
    once again foreigners cannot own land
    even if you trust your wife 100 percent i would say its a mugs game
    its actually all the foreighgners moving here and speculatimng that pushes prices up. only rejnt and don't pay too much and it should stay cheap for forseable future
    40 thousand a month is just redilculous unless its buckingham palace
    i rent sa two bed apartment for 7000 and i'm very comfortable.

5. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    7000pesos rent is NOT comfortable

Yabs,
    I think when people say "buy", they already understand they cannot own it under their name...unless they are so totally clueless that they deserve to be emptied of their wallets.
    Dont' buy/build unless you expect to lose all... Yeah, there is some truth to this. I agree.
    YOu are comfortable with 7000 per month rent? I am not sure what country you came from and the kind of pad you had back home, but i would venture to guess that 7000 per month would NOT be comfortable to 99% of expats (unless you are living somewhere so remote no expats want to live there anyway). Afterall, expats came here to have GOOD life, not to live in substandard housing..
    And if all expats took your advice and rented only, the rental prices will go through the roof. ITs a matter of economics. And, again, rental price rates are more EXPENSIVE here in phil as compared to U.S. or many other developing countries.

6. OP
    OP
    The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This thread just got chopped a bit...

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Thanks ,nice good clean up Dane :wink:

8. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Why Can't We Be Friends?

Dane you up late. I did not expect to see you chop that till in the morning.

Jim

9. OP
    OP
    The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Power Problems in Dauin

:smile:

Well right now we gotta work when we have power, the poewr situation out here is intolerable right now, the last month has been 3-6 brownouts a day...

6 yesterday
    4 so far today

10PM-4AM - 6 hours
    9AM-10AM - 1 hour
    1PM - 4.30PM - 3.5 hours

Plus a short 15-20 minute brownout somewhere in the middle...

NOT easy to get any work done at all...

10. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    When

we move there I will be bringing our standby gen set. I also have a backup power for my computer, which gives me time to save every thing and shout it down in a safe manor.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.