Dumaguete Info Search

Guess what this is...

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by seabee, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seabee

seabee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Found in the shallow tide pools in Siquijor Island...

....there were no warning signs at all...

Attached Files:

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Is it a baby octopus?

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Looks very much like the blue ring dotted octopus, one of the most poisening creatures. The warning signals are the blue rings :D
    I should be more carefull to take them in my hand, although I don't know if they are poisening already from their 'childhood' onwards.
    I have met them here as well but they were not that small as shown on the picture. Adults are not growing so big however.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    yup, looks like a juvenile blue-ring octopus.

At present you can find a bunch of them when diving in Dauin, entering the water in front of Pura Vida and dive direction south.

But to be honest, yours is a size, where I won't touch it anymore...

cheers

Rhoody

5. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The poison of the Blue Ring Octopus, is said to be 10,000 times more potent than cyanide… and there is no known antidote. The bite can lead to paralysis, respiratory arrest and finally death if artificial respiration and heart massage is not carried out on the victim and maintained till the toxin washes out of their system.

This little; not much bigger than a golf ball, somewhat attractive, innocent looking creature can be found widely from Australia to Japan, it’s found in rock pools and as deep as 20m. The fact that it’s attractive and found in rock pools, means that kids should be taught about it, since it’s just the sort of thing that they would be attracted to if not warned.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    seabee

seabee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sure is!

Deadly it is! We found out what it was when we showed our trip pictures to our neighbor who's a Navy Diver. Then I looked back the moment we saw that little thing... we were so excited when we picked it up and it started changing color... little did we know it was getting ready to strike....

I'm so glad nothing happened at all... now I know... never....EVER, EVER, EVER touch the small colorful creatures... just admire and LEAVE 'EM ALONE!

Glad to share this with everyone!

Attached Files:

7. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I would take care...

There must of been an angel looking over you that day or just dumb luck. I am glad nothing happened to you. I was just watching an old James Bond movie it was called octopussy I think. I saw a blue ring Octopus in that movie. enjoy your diving. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.