Dumaguete Info Search

Guns or hunting bows in the Home ??

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Rich321, Aug 9, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    Rich321

Rich321 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since I started this thread, I think I should clarify something.

To tell the truth, I have absolutely no desire to own a gun in the Philippines. I don't own one now, haven't owned one for 19 years, and can't imagine getting one when I relocate to the islands. Same holds true for a hunting bow.

I had a conversation with a friend at work and we discussed the matter (guns in the Philippines) so, not really knowing the correct answer, I posted the question on this forum.

Still, this is a learning experience for me and anyone else who might be thinking alone the lines of gun ownership.

As a foreigner, if you kill an intruder you are probably going to jail. If you somehow manage not to go to jail for that offense, the dead person's relatives are likely to need revenge. For a few pesos you could be permanently erased.

Apparently if you only wound someone, you will probably still go to jail or be paying for that person's upkeep for the rest of their life.

Clearly it is best to protect your property and family by some other means, like a good guard dog or dogs, window bars, compound wall - less lethal things like that.

2. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Sorry, but I really can't agree with this scaremongering of people, who are potentially interested in purchasing a firearm for home protection. I do agree, there are pro's and con's in doing so. As for this revenge bollacks and death threats, I can tell you honestly from personal experience, that "fire has to be fought with fire". It wasn't your fault that "Bing-Bong, Ding-Dong" or whoever was in your house trying to rape your spouse or daughters and trying to steal the family silverware etc. If it ever came down to what you say, then hire one yourself, they are extremely easy to find and cheap as you say.

Some pieces of advice from a police officer, here in Negros:-

1) If you kill an intruder to your home, (ie inside your gates/house etc), place a kitchen knife(if he doesn't have one himself) in his still warm hand, claiming self defence. You don't go to prison here, or anywhere else, if you are protecting your home and family with a properly licensed firearm. However, there is one proviso to this, you must fire a warning shot first, if that warning shot happens to hit him, that would indeed be unfortunate.
    (There will be no witnesses except your family, who are unlikely to testify against you, unless you're a real d*ckhead.)
    2) Do not ever shoot to wound, 'dead men tell no tales', or claim medical expenses. (If you aren't up to do this on humanatarian grounds, then perhaps you shouldn't have bought a firearm initially.)

Additionally, merely by applying for a firearms licence, whether or not you/your spouse are actually granted one requires alot of paperwork/signatures. (I did this on behalf of my spouse.) Amongst these, are Barangay, NBI, Police, Fiscal, psychiatrist's reports and clearances, you have to go through. Whilst fairly time consuming and frustrating at times, the process has a distinct added advantage, using the local "chis-mis" structure of gossip. Alot of people, especially in your immediate vicinity, then know who has and who doesn't have firearms to protect themselves. People who do, tend not to be bothered by nocturnal visitors as much.
    However, I do also agree with previous recommendations, of additionally keeping dogs, as first line of defence and warning. Most would be thieves don't like them, as they believe all are potential rabies carriers etc. I would also advise people to keep an inside dog too, in case really determined folk, poison your outside one/s, with the old Aji-Nomoto or rat poison tricks.
    Just my tuppenceworth.

3. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    a pair of rottweilers will do for home security.

4. Chuck_Roxas45

Chuck_Roxas45 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well anybody interested to join the local gun club? you'd meet all sorts of people who recommend all sorts of legal, semi-legal, and non-legal options. all it takes in the philippines is a little cash.