Dumaguete Info Search

Gyms in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since we will be in Dumaguete for two weeks, are there any decent gyms in town, and if so, where are they? I need to work out 2- 3x a week.

thanks
    2 blackbelts

2. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know what you mean by decent. There sure aren't any health club type gyms in Dgte.

There's a gym just very near Lee Plaza. Either across the street from it, or just past it as you're walking away from the ocean passing Lee on the side street.

There's one more in town, but I don't have info on it.

Locals lift cement weights on the south end of the boulevard. Opposite end of the pier.

3. OP
    OP
    2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Gyms in Dumaguete

Hey Viper:

Thankx for the help. Any more, or specific information would be appreciated such as name, location and phone number.

Would there be any interest in a nice gym opening? This is something I have been thinking about when I move over in a year or so.

Thanks
    2 bb

4. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That would be a big YES. Having a nice, air con place to workout would be great. That's one thing I miss when we're visiting, although I make up for this doing multiple 12oz curls:D

I think that's definitely missing now in Duma. I would guess there would be some demand for this. Go for it 2bb, and Good Luck:smile:

5. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I heard they are putting up a Gold's Gym at the Teletech callcenter here located at the Dumaguete Business Park. Don't know if they will open this gym to the public, though, as it will be mainly for Teletech employees.

6. OP
    OP
    2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Gyms om Di,/

While in Dumaguete, I actually found 2 gyms. One was the House of Chen. It had no air conditioning, and all homemade equipment which was very rough. I worked out there for a day, and just couldn't take the heat and the smell.

I then found Cellutrim by Lee Plaza. Not too bad, at least it had decent air and was a little bigger. Older American made equipment in rough, but usable condition, and not enough free weight plates. I quit benching at 300 lbs. There was quite a few people working out there. The staff was very nice and helpful, but the equipment always had someone on it. They charged 750 php a month. It was open five and a half days a week, closed two hours for lunch, and totally closed on Sunday, so it had a rather limited schedule.

My thoughts were to build a large, American quality health spa with new equipment, lights, air, lockers, sauna, massage, and even some alternative medicine.

Something to think about.

2 blackbelts

7. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well....

What are you waiting for?

8. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Focus on spa

It seems that you are focused more on healthclub, perhaps because you can benchpress 300lbs and have 2 blackbelts (or is it just ID??).
    But I suggest, if you are really serious and have some capital to back it up, that you focus on making a very nice SPA, with a small healthclub facility within the premise.
    I suggest this because based on my observation of DAUIN area where the tourists hang out, all the resorts are mid-sized at best, meaning they dont have the necessary funds/space to do a full-fledged spa. Maybe resorts like bahura perhaps already have one (I didnt go there), but the vast majority DONT. Couple this with the fact that not all tourists to Dauin are divers. So what do these non-divers do when their diver friends are out at sea? And divers enjoy spa also. Everyone loves spa; its universal.
    Thus, this spa would be somewhere centrally located in Dauin and draw customers from guests of Dauin hotels.
    You probably have visited thailand and bali, so you know what i am talking about in terms of spa. Private single/couple rooms (i see many boys with girls), private showers and bath areas (mud as well), out door area, pool (jacuzzi/hydrotherapy), etc., with full menu of spa treatments (you can add your wellness program here i guess). Cost of construction would be reasonable (you do not have to located it on the beach). And since this is NOT a sleezy massage parlor, i am sure you can get well trained labor willing to work at good rates (just like in thailand and bali spas).
    I just cant see anyone frequenting HEALTHCLUB in Dauin area... People sweat just walking outside for a few minutes, and most are somewhat more active here in phil vs their home country, so i believe people feel less need to workout. Furthermore, the type you are talking about requires the patronage of expats, not locals who cant afford it. And the age group of expats is such that NO ONE would be benchpressing 300lbs or requiring latest exercise equip... Trust me on that one! :smile:
    Give it a thought, and if you do decide to do it, you owe me lifetime free spa membership.
    Good luck!

9. nalyn24

nalyn24 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Information

Where is House of Chen Gym?

10. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hey 2BB,

Are you planning something at your place in Malatapay or in Dumaguete ?
    I do agree with most of what JSS told you nearly a year ago.
    I'm curious to hear if you still have plans to start something.
    Or was the over-weight (> 300 lbs) a bit too much, causing you to decide to stop pushing and lifting at all :D :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.