Dumaguete Info Search

Happy Thanksgiving to all who enjoy

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by patty, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Wait wait wait Broadside. You just described "fried patato patties" that are served for breakfast in the upper east coast of the US. Just cook enough to slightly brown the outsides. Great taste, but been a long time.

2. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    As long as we are talking food, is there any large Maine lobsters or Alaskan King crab available here? Does anyone know?

3. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Very true Ron. I also heard them referred to as "potato waffles" in New Hampshire.

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Ron, in Dgte you can find Alaskan King Crab, large Maine Lobsters and even Texas style Chile. 2nd Floor, National Bookstore, Gourmet Magazine:D
    Happy Thanksgiving.

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Thanksgiving Day Dinner: Crislyn and I will have a traditional TD dinner consisting of turkey, mash, red cabbage, and cranberry at our favorite boulevard restaurant tonight.
    Happy Thanksgiving Day and peace to all.

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    the served dinners are nice as you don't have to cook or clean up. But, man would I miss the leftover turkey for sandwiches....that's 90% of the good stuff! ;-)

7. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OMG.....a cold turkey sandwich the next day for lunch, on really fresh bread, with mayo, salt and black pepper. Almost better than the original dinner. And if you're lucky, a side of dressing heated with brown gravy.

8. Suplado_C_Andoy

Suplado_C_Andoy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can someone please educate a non American? What is the actual celebration of 'Thanksgiving' for? In the UK we celebrate the 'Harvest Festival', then Guy Fawkes and Hallowe'en then for us it's Christmas..... I hope I'm not the only 'nimno' on here who doesn't know....

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Thanksgiving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Traditionally, it has been a time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. While it may have been religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.[1] It is sometimes casually referred to as Turkey Day.
    In Canada, Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the second Monday in October, which is Columbus Day in the United States. In the United States, it falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
    The precise historical origin of the holiday is disputed. Although Americans commonly believe that the first Thanksgiving happened in 1621 at Plymouth, Massachusetts, there is some evidence for an earlier harvest celebration by Spanish explorers in Florida during 1565. There was also a celebration two years before Plymouth (in 1619) in Virginia. There was a Thanksgiving of sorts in Newfoundland, modern-day Canada in 1578 but it was to celebrate a homecoming instead of the harvest.
    Thanksgiving Day is also celebrated in Leiden, in the Netherlands. A different holiday which uses the same name is celebrated at a similar time of year in the island of Grenada.

10. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I was taught in school, as were my children many years later that it all happened on the dates above. And the expanded version we were taught told about how the colonist and the native Americans (Indians) co-operated with each other in growing crops and hunting and that the first Thanksgiving dinner was between the settlers and the native Americans who all sat down together and gave thanks for the harvest and their new found friendship and co-operation.
    As history tells us, a lot of settlements in the "New World" did die out, because the settlers could not go it on their own and making enemies of the locals did nothing but destroy the settlements sooner.
    And there is still a lesson to be learned by these stories. It's a shame we don't learn after 400 years.
    Please enjoy a day of peace and friendship and good food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.