Dumaguete Info Search

Healers in the Philippines

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ENIGMA, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    ENIGMA

ENIGMA DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Nice one Chuck,I'll try that.:D

2. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All kidding aside Enigma, my first response was sincere and worth a try. Sometimes the only thing to take care of superstitious beliefs is to replace it with another more acceptable form.

3. OP
    OP
    ENIGMA

ENIGMA DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree Chuck,as the whole thing is contradictory,I shall steer her in that direction,as she claims to be a devout Catholic,if it happens again.
    Thanks for the advice,it made me laugh about setting her bed on fire,Although I know she wouldn't find it funny.Maybe I've got a wicked sense of humour?

4. southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got a good laugh last night when my GF told me that she visited a "quack" doctor about her problem sleeping.

He knows about our relationship and told her he wasn't sure what the problem was then he asked her if she had Pinoy BF before me...she told him YES.

then he says "oh it's him...he put voodoo curse on you" ( What a surprise..right?)

I just reminded her of her Christian beliefs and that curses have no power over her unless she allows it.

This calmed her down some...

But let's see what drama unfolds tonight. LOL

Don

5. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Geez with all the curses and counter curses and future options trading on curses....I guess a guy could make some dough on a curse brokerage firm and maybe do some curse consolidation contracts on the side.

6. southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That would certainly reframe the idea of "having" curses. People would want curses...do you have a curse? I'll give u 20 pesos for that curse and you'll never have to worry about it.

I can see the brokerage side too...

"I've have 1000 contracts on curses from the "quack" doctor in LOOC for 15 pesos per contract...but i really need your paipi quack doctor contracts let's work something out.

How about it!!!:rolleyes:

Don

7. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    As for not harming anyone, if my wife listened to one "healer" who also did massages, we'd be divorced. Two years ago, he told my wife and her family that I was evil and that our marriage would only last a few more weeks and she needed to get away from me. We happen to have a great marriage, and two years later celebrated our 17th anniversary.

8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    There are many catholics (and protestants) here who accept the doctrine of the catholic (or other christian) church and at the same time give credence to local folk medicine and faith healers. It in some cases as mentioned before, it is simply a matter of economics, doctors cost money and are not so accesable in rural areas. The farther into the provinces the more prevalent it seems to be. While the old ways and superstitions are still strongly embedded in the psyche of many Filipinos, the catholic church has made its own inroads on Philippine life. They exist side by side.

9. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    When I first encountered it I was surprised that in a country where 80% of the population claims to be Catholic such beliefs endure. I've since learned that regardless of the religion a societal majority accepts it is always trumped by the established culture. When the Spanish introduced Catholicism the Filipinos melded it with their native beliefs and this has been the way for centuries (not the only country to do so by the way). If your wife professes Christianity and you are well versed in biblical teachings you could try pointing to various scriptures that may discount such superstitions. Otherwise you'll just need to accept it. Perhaps you could have elevated conversations with your son so he can analyze the situation and come to his own conclusions. Either way, you'll need to be patient.

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    How many catholics in the Philippines have read or even seen a bible? how many can name the Pope? I have gone to the services at the big church across from Quezon Park a number of times. I find the service refreshingly informal and abbreviated. Nobody goes on time, and many are quite happy just to light a candle and stand outside.The music is often acoustic guitar or singing groups. I was raised in a protestant religion, and the catholic services here are more like them in many ways. The old beliefs are entrenched, and while many Filipinos go to church to confess and be forgiven, get married and get buried, day to day faith and practice is strongly influenced by the old ways and superstitions. There is no arguing about it in my experience, no amount of logic can disuade them from their beliefs, even if you can point out inconsistancies in the logic or juxaposition from catholicism.
    Be patient yes, and don't try to change the thinking. You'll be beating your head against the wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.