Dumaguete Info Search

Hello from Portugal

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Hugo, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugo

Hugo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all

Been checking out this forum for a couple of days since I started thinking about visiting Dumaguete for a couple of weeks.

Well, introducing myself: I'm a 30 year old half German half Portuguese who's lived all his life (minus 6 months) in Lisbon, Portugal.
    I'm a freelance translator, mostly technical stuff like machinery manuals, etc.
    Interests: reading, travelling, history, computer games (ever less, the industry is going down the toilet).

Anyway, thinking of going to Dumaguete in November. Checked out a few hotels and the Palwa seems nice enough. Also seen on the net that November still falls within the rainy season there. How is it in Dumaguete, does it pour like kingdom come in that month or is it already better?
    Any other tips you guys and gals might have for me?

Oh, and there's something which is bothering me. If going, I'm flying with KLM to Manila and then catching a Cebu Pacific flight to Dumaguete, but if I catch the first one, I only have around 2 hours to get my luggage, transfer from Terminal 1 to 3 and then check in, etc. But if I catch the second flight, that'll mean a 6 hour wait which, after 18 hours travelling, I'm really trying to avoid.
    My question: are 2 hours enough or should I play on the safe side?

Well, I've been too verbose already for my first post :p
    Thanks in advance for the replies :wink:

2. thaliaeden

thaliaeden DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi...base on my experience....for me 2 hours is ohh my gosh...disaster because it took awhile to get your luggage and traffic in manila is such a pain...getting a taxi is easy though if your willing to pay higher price which is really a pain for me...6 hours might be a good one but i understand your side after a long fying all you want is to get over it...even from a hotel to the airport and checking in..2 hours is so little of time..but that's on my side only....base on my experience in flying....welcome to Dumaguete soon..i am sure you will like it...about the weather thing..not really sure...

3. bold.and.beautiful

bold.and.beautiful DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome to the site, Hugo! Hope you can come visit Dumaguete. As for your concerns re: connecting flight, well, I suggest you better get the second flight. Six hours of waiting is better than missing your flight to here. Unless, of course, Cebu Pacific has another of those delays that made it to the news headlines, then you can catch the first flight! :wink:

4. OP
    OP
    Hugo

Hugo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your replies so far, Thaliaeden and Bold. Yeah, I'll probably not risk it and just catch that 2nd flight.

To the people who pm'ed me: I appreciate your interest, but I'm not interested in buying or renting property, or any other services you might provide. Thank you anyway.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hugo,
    Bon dia and welcome on the forum.
    I agree with the foregoing reactions regarding taking the second flight.
    KLM is normally very punctual and I have not experienced delays of more than 15 minutes, but it's too tricky.
    When it's crowded in the air .............you simply have to accept these delays these years :wink:
    November is a good time. Don't worry about your timing.
    It's formally the last months of the rainy season, but even now it is not raining a lot. Luckily it did rain today !!!:rolleyes:
    It had been many days without rain here at my place.

6. OP
    OP
    Hugo

Hugo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Jellyfish (I know, LATE reply).

I'm staying for 1-2 months, but unfortunately Lisbon (or Portugal for that matter) has no Embassy of the Philippines here, just an honorary consul.
    Since I'm a Portuguese citizen, I can enter the country for 21 days without the need for a visa.
    The question: taking into account that my return flight would be 30-60 days away, would Philippine authorities let me enter the country without a visa (for the 21 allowed days) and would it then be possible for me to ask for an extension in the Dumaguete branch of the Immigration Office?
    (I'm assuming the application for an extension is just a formal matter, i.e. they always grant it.)

7. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    :eek: rofl

have fun

what I understand from everybody extending a visa is no problem, besides that your return flight is later does not mean you will stay all that time in the Phillipines (you could travel to indonesia) so I guess np (I doubt they got problems with mass ileagal immigrants from Portugal)

8. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Well good questions

Hugo
    Welcome to the forum, 2 hours is cutting it close to make the plane. why? you going to ask next. somedays luggage is fast other days slow this you never know. Then the line at customs then going to the other terminal not hard just a quick taxi. But Cebu Pacific is late alot it may help you make the plane but you never know.
    Visa 21 days is okay. just extent it after two weeks you can keep extenting up to one year then you have to leave the country for one day then come back.. it's cheap Philippines moves at a slower pace more relaxed than the rest of the world it is part of it charm. hope this helped.
    OH yeah, the rain don't worry to much about it not bad if it does rain. Dumagete, Cebu all have nice weather. LUZON different

9. OP
    OP
    Hugo

Hugo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies, Arie and Teacher.

10. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Welcome to the forum Hugo! The next flight is better--from experience, avoiding the rush and the possibility of missing the flight. Yes, Dumaguete has the best weather in the country. We get the rains but almost never ever the strong winds. Dumaguete is a "windshadow"!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.