Dumaguete Info Search

Helmet law enforcement

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by dodong, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Pedro, if you are responding to my reply, ignore my opinion if you don't like it, no need to preach to me or say I am whining. As you stated, the forum is for opinions and experiences. Read your Robert Kennedy saying...

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I agree with that!

3. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i got to read something, somewhere in one of the local motorcycle forums that bike-riders in cities with low volume traffic are not really required by the LTO to wear helmets. which is probably perhaps why (the not-so-present) dumaguete never really got serious with it till lately. but this i guess isn't official... i searched The Official Website of the Land Transportation Office of the Philippines for the keyword "low volume" but didnt find any result that could lead me to this specific issue.

baby helmets? eherm... i'd think twice on this, even if i were living and driving around the city of gentle people.

i agree on the point that forums, any forum, should be only for putting observations and ideas into one tangible 'i-place'. for tangible results though, the least a group could do is to come up with a formal letter then have -- say a thousand -- signatures attached. :rolleyes:

4. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    So what's the latest with all this folks?? Anyone got the updates or info?

Cheers,
    Mark

5. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Here on Mindanao, at least the west side where I live, the helmet law has been enforced (?) for the 10 months I've been here.....sort of. AND, along with the helmet law they also enforce the long pants and closed-toe shoes law at the same time.
    The "but" in this is that all 3 things are only enforced by the LTO and only at the checkpoints, and everybody knows where the checkpoints are located. The PNP doesn't seem to care at all about the helmet/pants/shoes law.
    However, in the past month the PNP has set up random checkpoints to check ownership papers (and secondly driver's license) due to a rash of motorcycle carjackings and thiefts.

6. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OnMyWay.....I wish there was a difinative answer for you, but there isn't. If you go to the LTO website and read the statement on motorcycle requirements, among other things, it clearly states that all riders must wear an "approved" helmet, long pants, and close-toe shoes, but it also says a "heavy jacket" (stupid).
    Then, if you look at a list of motor vehicle fines, there is a fine listed for each item, helmet/shoes/long pants/jacket, along with fines for all other vehicle violations.
    As for me, if I'm going more than 15km away from home, I wear the helmet/pants/shoes and Mae-Mae wears long pants and helmet.

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    so last night, 540PM, the LTO SUV vehicle pulls up as well as a small sub-compact white car with drivers education markings all over it. They park opposite Casablanca on the boulevard. 5 guys show up all in LTO dress driving motorbikes and not one single helmet worn by any of them.

They were there stopping as many motorbikes as possible and issuing the tickets. One of the guys, dressed in a black LTO shirt walked around taking pictures of the traffic stop. The girls wrote the tickets.

They stayed 25 minutes and left. All got back on their motorbikes and drove away without any helmets.

8. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OnMyWay.....I think the saying that applies to that situation is "don't do as I do, do as I SAY do". Lol

so you all have the new LTO females there? It must have been a "PR thing" for the news.

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Interesting, do you know for sure it was the helmet law they were issuing tickets for? This is the first I have heard of enforcement. I went a lot of LTO guys this morning and never had even a glance.

10. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    On a sad note (for some riders), when I took the LTO class, the instructor listed a lot of "impoundable offenses" (that I don't remember).
    At the same LTO office in Bulua , the back area of the lot has about 200 to 300 impounded motors there, obviously some have been there a long time.
    I'm thinking if you don't have money for a helmet or to fix your non-working lights (lol) you also don't have the money to get your motor out of impound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.