Dumaguete Info Search

Helmet laws now being enforced

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by shadow, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    babel-fish, I prefer a landrover over a jeep too. Although, I dont like the new hard top landrovers. An older version for me.

2. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ride on they go anywhere you point them to

3. Maryfee

Maryfee DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    you don't have to mention that you had 5 motorbike-accidents and the helmet protected your life...
    If you really believe all that things you write here and want to sell people as the (or actually only your) truth, everybody can see that wearing helmet causes serious brain damage.... keep on posting... it is my daily laugh in the morning (and in between when I get online here in this part of the world). DI needs people like you...

4. Coyotes

Coyotes DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Helmets to save lives???

i agree helmets would save lives and enforcing it will bring revenue in to the LTO, however, most civilised places that enforce the wearing of helmets also have more important rules that had to be enforced first, like illumination when it goes dark!, not undertaking or generally weaving about the road, and another that will surely prevent accident is a couple of give way or stop signs, maybe a traffic light or two and my biggest hate.. of pedi-cabs that just pull out or u-turn without so much as a signal or checking the way is clear, enforcing the helmet before some decent road code of driving first is stupidity

5. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Fashion and safety plus plus

That photo with the bucket helmet is fabulous, that could start a trend. Tee hee.

Seriously, the helmet is meant to be for safety. There's the good intention.

Now the implementation may need improvement IMHO. Plus helmets are BTW quite expensive. The cheaper ones can cause danger because the fit may not be good and if an accident happens, the driver or passenger could literally end up with a broken head and with splinters and shards planted on it. Ugh.

Full helmets are good camouflage items [yes you're right Shadow] which criminals are known to use. A close friend of mine was walking home from work with her boyfriend. To make the story short, there was a short tug of war between them and two fully masked/helmeted men. My friend got shot twice but luckily lived through the ordeal with quick hospital help.

So there must be a way to follow the well-intentioned law: perhaps the government can subsidize the first helmet! And maybe, a helmet designer can make a head protector helmet that does not cover the face....or something like that. In Hanoi where motorcycles are plenty on the roads, helmets are fashioned to protect the heads. Faces are well exposed. Just commenting on what I've seen there that seemed to work well.

But yes, Rhoody is absolutely right: there are riding habits that help riders survive better. I think so too. In the end, it's not just the helmet.

Plus what LTO is doing: inspection surprises--that could be bad for commerce in the long run. There's the kangkong vendor on his mc sans a helmet, on his way to earn his family's fare for the day. There's the fish vendor...the mama trying to get her kid to school on time and so many others that could survive the ride for as long as they have good riding habits--no cell play, no smoking while driving so hands don't leave the bike handles, and so on.

Maybe LTO can impose the rule better without the blitz. Instead of one watching out warily for the other, with the one taking away valuable NFA money or other valuable fare for the day--perhaps LTO can simply post inspectors without the bleeding. Forgive my language folks. :(

But these are my thoughts.

6. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If these helmets could be manufactored locally in the filippines to be more affordable it would be a winner, I like your thoughts as they make great sense.

7. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just sharing experience and stating the common sense thing to do, sorry to differ on opinion however you take the chance of never wearing a helmet fine and of course that good advice, but have you seen grey matter and blood spread across the road, I have a few times in Cebu its nothing to laugh about and of course very hard too whilst your trying not to be sick.

Some sense of humour you have, great stuff aznd so sensible.

8. spellhowler14

spellhowler14 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just saying my opinion bout helmet

SAFETY should start in ourselves right? There are lots of people who are driving motorcycle with out helmet and find no accidents, including myserlf. i have been driving MC since i was in highschool way back then. as far as i know, wearing helmet is only safety for the vihicle accedent, but how about the holdapers who are using helmet while riding MC? how would we recognize their faces in case we be able to catch one? and to add, wearing helmet is not really comfortable on the drivers part because dumaguete city is a small city with small roads and intersections, we won't be able to spot speeding vehicle from our sides, specialy during at night.

this regulation is really "anti-poor" because most of us used MC coz we wanted to save our money. and having 2 back riders is also charge to overloading. does it mean we have to go back and fort from the house in order to drop our relatives to their school just because u cannot carry 2 person? not everyone can afford to buy two motorcycle.. we buy MC to save money, not to "savings" money to the LTO. also, the unuathorize wearing of slippers/shirt is not also accepted to the public. does it mean everytime we go to the market we should wear close shoes? or even just droping our relatives to respective offices is required to wear flat shoes when they are wearing high heels?

talking about LTO, the LTO are strick on implementing there regulations, but they can't even comply there duties to produce us even the simpliest thing which is the "sticker" and now they will charge us for "no sticker". do u think it is correct when ur MC is registered 2008 and they will give you 2006 sticker? i don't think this is the proper way of implementing the law.

and also about the SIDE MIRRORS, they charge us for no side mirrors but in fact, the attending officer has NO side mirrors on his MC? Hahaha... that is the funniest thing i ever experience. and another thing, i always see law inforcers, with their uniform on, no side mirrors on their MC strolling arount the city. i don't think they are excempted..

i thought that the philippine constitution says that the law is by "the people" which means that it should be accepted by the public, otherwise it wont be effective.

dumaguete city is the city with the largest motorcycle user all over the philippines!
    go dumaguete! hehe :D

happy MC driving :P

9. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As a filipino we are proud to be an owner of motorcycle that’s why we like to be recognised ,girls are also so proud of it, driving or backriding! I knew the feeling lol ...(helmet destroy the beauty)
    But now I’m not teenager anymore, I valued so much the quality of life.Im favor of wearing helmet. The other regulations, maybe the LTO has to compromise and think more practical.

10. shiba

shiba DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mr. Rudy, the pinky-up-your-long-nose is the most guapo photo, lol!! Funny boy :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.