Dumaguete Info Search

Here's one big REASON I left the USA...

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Manzanita, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleFatBloke

UncleFatBloke DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Simply walking somewhere at whatever day or night is not cause to be aggressively questioned or assaulted by the police!
    There hast to be just cause or reasonable suspicion of a felony. And that doesn't include saying 2am is when everyone should be in bed!

Now that sounds like a statement from someone who hasn't been to a country where police have to deal with things without a side-arm strapped to their waist.

As one commenter stated that you don't hear the good stuff, only the bad; but 99% of the reports I hear or read about state that US police are heavy-handed to say the least for minor incidents, and often downright gungho for other events.
    I watched a video a couple of weeks ago where a joy rider had come to a halt after 20 minutes, having knocked several cars in the process. About 40(forty!) police responded to the situation, and when the car finally came to a halt, every cop emptied his gun into the car!!
    Did the driver have a gun? - no.
    Then a bystander who videoed the incident on his phone was attacked by a couple of officers who stuck their guns in his face and smashed his phone to pieces. They were good with their guns but not the grey matter, as they didn't take the memory card from the phone, which is why we get to see the ever increasing incidents of events like those.

Your "overwhelmingly the most professional in the world" statement makes me think of the title of the US baseball championship - 'The World Series'. A series played by the teams of just one country, who are clearly not overwhelmingly the best in the world after only winning the real baseball world cup twice in the last 30 years!

Sorry for the long ramble everyone, but if someone is going to say 'we are the best' they had better make sure they have some facts to prove it!

:D

2. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Hey Uncle,
    You're right, mine IS a statement from someone who hasn't experienced living in a society where cops don't have to have guns. Where I live, cops are vilified by nearly every aspect of society; shot at, killed, punched, kicked, driven over etc. on a daily basis by people who are not like you or I. They are often drunk, drug crazed, or simply have nothing else in life than to fight with police. For them, it is a good day when a cop is killed.
    I will not bother to search for evidence to support my comments on US Peace Officer professionalism...it exists abundantly.
    On June 2nd of this year, two of my coworkers did not go home at the end of their shift, in a "routine fire" (they're dead). Similarly, when police officers go to work, they really don't want to have themselves and their loved ones denied life and happiness at the hands of some shithead.
    Let me give you and everyone a piece of advice: don't break the law, and if you do, cooperate with peace officers...it will certainly be a wise decision.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Multi-National DI

:wink: We are Multi-National, We all have the best, in Our own opinion, Look at this lot, They are ALL Police People.
    No matter what nationality, We owe them a lot.

Jack P.:wink:

Attached Files:

4. UncleFatBloke

UncleFatBloke DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hey Jim,
    Although I belive my statements 100%, I was a bit quick to jump down your throat. For that I apologise.
    What I should add is that however aggressive I think some/many cops/soldiers are as soon as they have a gun on their side, I do understand that their daily environment is often in a different universe from your normal law abiding citizen.
    In the UK we still like to think back to the Dixon of Dock Green (very old UK tv cop show), where the local 'Bobby' is there to help old lady's cross the road, and is seen every day as he walks his beat around the neighbourhood.
    Sadly those days are long gone and you hardly ever see a policeman outside of his car or the office where he spends more time than outside!
    In the US, it is another world completely, and my last visit there was to LA where I felt uncomfortable just walking the streets.
    To be a cop in that jungle is just too scary to think about, but I think that because cops are exposed to the very worst of society - like you say - they have become hardened to 'normal' situations.
    I think the culture & spiral of violence in the US has gotten worse over the last 20 years, and I don't see it getting better, only worse.
    So I can understand why people like Manzanita moved away, and you can understand why people like myself could never live there.
    I am sorry for your colleagues and their families.
    Like policing, firefighting is another career/vocation where you are exposed to terrible situations every day, so I completely understand your empathy for law enforcement.
    But, I still don't agree that US cops are the most professional in the world. :-)
    Best Regards

Andy

5. jimf

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Hello Andy,
    I appreciate the response. No need for apologies, I would like to think we can agree to disagree and be completely able to express our beliefs. In retrospect, I did not mean to lump you, with, "let me give you a peice of advice." lol. I meant that as a general statement.
    My reference to firefighting could have been more specific. I would clarify and say police officers take steps to ensure their personal saftey, like many other professions. Unfortunately, it occasionally results in untoward effects for peaceful citizens. U.S cities are shooting galleries...it's a shame what has become of the good 'ol USA.
    Interestingly, crime in U.S. cities has plummeted in the last year or two, puzzling the experts besause it is inconsistent with the times..economy, joblessness, etc.
    I do however, continue to assert that the overwhelming majority of our cops conduct themselves very well.
    In response to "99% of stories are bad," well, those stories just happen to sell, that's all.
    Thanks for the discussion...

Jim

6. jimf

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for making a good point, and for the nice pic.
    It does remind me though, of an email sent to me by a lady friend. It is a long scroll of pictures of female cops from all over the world. Wow, there are some beauties and very fit women in it. But! When it finally gets to the end, they show two female U.S. cops...definitely the punchline-hahahaha. I will attempt to post it. Don't hold your breath though, I can still hardly turn a dam computer on : )
    Ok, I will attempt to paste it
    Nope, I'll try the picture section...hehe, this is a good view.
    China

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hong Kong

[​IMG]

India

[​IMG]

Indonesia

[​IMG]

Japan

[​IMG]

Malaysia

[​IMG]

North Korea

[​IMG]

Pakistan

[​IMG]

Philippines

[​IMG]

Singapore

[​IMG]

South Korea

[​IMG]

Taiwan

[​IMG]

Viet Nam

[​IMG]

And then there's...The USA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    They must be top secret invisible cops! :D

Pasting of pics doesn't work on this website. Copying the image location and inserting an image does. :D

8. jimf

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Thanks Knowdafish...I'm working on it
    I was able to upload them on the pic thread..not exactly what I wanted though.
    However! I think it best to help guide this thread to a much more amicable one with a happy ending : )
    ...I for one, think the Indonesian cop is by far the hottest!

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Could it be this One?

Hi jim, if this is the one you refer too, I have to Agree. She can Arrest me, any time, no struggle :eek: Handcuffs?? OK, If she must!:D

Jack P.:wink:

Attached Files:

10. jimf

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Wow, she can strip search me anytime! But, that's not the Indonesian cop I refered to. I am a bit jealous, not because your girl cop is cuter than mine, but because I dont know how to attach a thumbnail to this post!
    Anyway, here is a link, I dont know how well it will work...you can be the judge who you would rather be handcuffed by hahaha...

Dumaguete City Forum - jimf's Album: Female cops from around the world : ) - Picture

Yep, the link is to this forum and it works just fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.