Dumaguete Info Search

Higgh school for American kid

Discussion in '☋ Education ☋' started by xm65, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Why should grade 11 in US be equivalent to 4th year High-School here (what would be grade 10 )???. I rather believe a Grade 11 US-Kid has more knowledge than any Sillimanian after university... what is a reason that no school here has any international accreditation
    come on, try to use the thing between the ears and don't give any weird recommendations to waste money for parents and valuable educational time for the kid with that just absolutely wrong statements !!!

BTW, of course Kids like MoneySorry, if it is a daycare-thing, 45 years back when I was a kid I love to play the whole day instead of learning something.

To the OP. Read through the Expat's opinions about Education here, also in many other threads, you will get the picture whit level of Education your son will get in Dumaguete

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Grade 10 = 4th year high school in the Philippines. Grade 11 = 1st year college in the Philippines. In the United States, Grade 12 = 4th year high school. There is no high school in Negros Oriental that goes beyond grade 10. And none are accredited in North America.

Well, let me give you some personal experience that is not based on hearsay: The director/owner (Merlo Fuentes) of SIMON claims she was certified in Montessori in San Francisco. However, even she does not claim that ANY of her teachers are certified. (And Ms. Merlo herself appears not to be teaching any classes, only managing the school.) I withdrew my child from classes there for several reasons:

1.) Ms. Merlo claimed she would be the teacher of the class. Instead the class was overseen by unlicensed teacher assistants.

2.) SIMON is supposed to be an English school. The only thing my child picked up was some visayan songs taught him by the unlicensed teacher assistant.

3.) They feed pre-school kids powdered sugar drinks. Not exactly a health-conscious crowd...

4.) The school does not communicate with the parents regarding school closings, activities or the progress of the child. I would say they are closed roughly 4 days a month for various reasons and usually with no warning to the parents. This does not include the days when classes turn into recess as the campus does not have back-up generators.

5.) The straw that broke the camel's back for me was at their school fiesta. The music was so loud (and even breaking up) that several of the young children were crying. I could not tolerate it myself. The organizers were asked to turn down the volume at least three times and did nothing. In addition, they have the entire school, along with invited parents and guests outside in the hot sun and they don't have any water! No stock! To me, that shows a poorly organized and poorly managed school with little regard for the welfare of their students. Tuition for pre-school is more than most private universities in the Philippines. I expected A LOT more. What was delivered was unacceptable to me.

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    D.Guru, your post is as clear as my drinking water.
    I think it's good to make this public.
    Let's hope some of the school directors/teachers are reading this DI forum and take serious lessons of the many remarks (more accurate: complaints).
    Are you serious to believe that Jelly ? :D:wink:
    I was laughing while reading your post because some of the points you mentioned were so recognizable to me.
    My partners son (still far from grade 11 !) comes home and tells me the same things, so it seems not to be a special 'achievement' of that Montessori school.

4. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree that there is much to be desired in the quality of education in these islands, but in spite of all the shortcomings, some of these schools are able to turn out brilliant graduates in their chosen fields--perhaps not as brilliant as world-renown top school achievers, but good enough to hold top positions in foreign lands....

5. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Ok give us an example of a brilliant graduate of moneysorry school! Don't vreply so fast I would like you nto nthink about it and research.Reply after 3 days nalang:eek:

6. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I am not only referring to that school Bikerdave. The Montessori school is a relatively new school and I think their first batch of graduates are still in college. As to my reference of "brilliant" graduates, I am thinking of graduates from SU, even St. Paul U. And I think the strengths of some schools here do not lie much on what the local teachers pump between the ears but on the values like respect, instilling some form of discipline in the students, etc.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ok... 3 more days and one from Silliman, ...

"I know someone in US who sends money each month and friends told me that they know someone who ...." wont count. I know plenty of them in Luzon where the family thinks they are working abroad....

A bit more honesty and not blindfolded "we are the best" thinking would help a lot

8. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Relatively new, 10 years is not relatively new! I could have had my children repeat k1/k2 at holy cross or even ABC school fo 10 years and come out better educated than MONEYSORRY school!!!! Do you have children? If so where do they or did they go to school? If you do not have kids then there is no reason to reply to this post as it does not directly affect you!

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hello, Bikerdave! Yes, I have two children who are both grown-ups and I also have a 7-year-old at home, a granddaughter. I was also a teacher for a hundred years (LOL), really 27 years to be exact. Like you and those who are replying to this post, I am also concerned about the quality of education in this country but I would like to think only of its good side because there is nothing much that we could do about the state of things here. I can only hope that some improvement will happen.

10. Hey Joe

Hey Joe One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Philippine Universities CAN produce outstanding graduates

Two of my wife's uncles graduated from San Jose Recoletos in Cebu City, and they are now (respectively) a nuclear engineer and a structural engineer in the state of New York. They both placed very high in the placement exams (with the nuclear engineer being number one in the entire nation), and both of these gentlemen were very highly recruited to work in several different nations (including the U.S.A.). Both of my wife's uncles are now very well off after working in their respective occupations in the U.S. for the past twenty years. What I am trying to say is that the Philippines may not have proper jobs for all of its graduates (some competent and some not so competent), but some of them are obviously well enough qualified (academic preparation wise) to be eligible to work (and, in the case of some, eligible to be highly recruited) in other foreign countries in need of their services. I can't speak with any certainty about the average Philippine high schools or the elementary schools, but I think that (even with limited resources and high class sizes) at least some of the better universities can prepare their graduates to compete fairly effectively for high paying or relatively high paying professions on a worldwide scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.