Dumaguete Info Search

Honda XLR/XR200 owners or buyers

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by simple mind, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Is that you Manzanita? HaHaHa, he got stuck and could not Kick it back to Life, i much appreciate the Electricstarter on my lowly XLR...:D

Attached Files:

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    You could back off the pre-load until the spring spins freely on the shock, it doesn't matter, its not the pre-load that's the problem, it's the spring rate as installed by Honda.

3. Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    LOL, that was a PRETTY FUN DAY, EH?

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Understandable, but how much do you weigh?

5. OP
    OP
    simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Yeah, Manzanita we could not get to the other side that Day and I had to leave early and did not enjoy the "River Crossing" I have not seen you Guys since then, you still do Trails? :p

6. Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    That river crossing was crazy, one slip and it would have been doomday for the rider and d' bike. I haven't been trailing too much except to blast around locally back behind my house, old service injury has been acting up and I can't stay on the bike that long :-(

And Knowdafishstick, I'm 190lbs of lean, mean lovin' machine...:cool:
    But the XR is still all spring in back! :mad:

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

Thanks. I guess 260 wouldn't dampen it much! :D

8. Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Hey fish, even with somebody on the back with me it was still oversprung. Take a look at the rear of one of these 200's around town even with 2 up the shock doesn't even compress.
    It's just a shitty straight spring rate, should have a progressive rate spring, but it doesn't.

9. TheOrigDanger95

TheOrigDanger95 One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ybr 125

RR Biker,

I have access to a YBR 125 you could test drive. I sat on the kawasaki 125 and the seat was no where near as comfortable as the YBR.

I am here in Dipolog if you want to try it.

10. OP
    OP
    simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Hi again, to give some information regarding the posts from "Manzanita" and "Knowdafish", the XR200 was launched 79' and made in different configurations till 03' and was a Moto Cross and Trails Bike without Lights and Electricstarter, it had almost the same Frame and Front and Rear suspension but Front and Rear Drum Brakes.
    Some Stuff would fit the XLR/XR sold localy, but most parts are old and expensive to send over from the States where they were mainly sold, the Rear Shockabsorbers would very likely fit and if you could get a replacment (not a original) new that would surely improve your XLR/XR Suspension.
    I am not sure about the CRF230 "Manzanita" mentions, I don't see the same Frame on that Bike.
    What "Manzanita" writes is a bit over exagerated:rolleyes:, in fact there are situations, like this, that the Bike is already some years old and was Driven lightly and is then sold to a heavy Rider, I had to "Repair/Modify" the Shockabsorber twice already (not my own), because, the connecting Rod coroded at the Bottom where the Rubber Stopper is (out off sight) during the light Riding years and then under heavy load the Shockabsorber would compress until the Stopper and the rusty connecting Rod would destroy the Oilseal and it would lose the Gas and Damperoil, the Bike then rides like a Bogo Stick. Good addvice: don't Ride overloaded!
    But I also have to say that the XLR/XR are basicaly the same Bikes since 95' until now here in the Philippines, they have alwise been cheap for what you got, of course Honda wanted and also got practicaly no problems with the Bike and on a item like the Rear Shockabsorber, with a price tag
    of 22'000 peso as a Spare part, they made sure non was F""""" under Warranty.
    I found Shockabsorbers which would probably fit the XLR/XR on several Sites in the US, for about 150-400$ , even the 400$ one would be about the same price as the Original here and that is a nice one made of Aluminum and with compression and rebound adjustments.
    Some more things about the Rear Suspension, it is very good, Honda uses Needelbearings in all the linkages of the "Pro Link" set up and there is only to MENTION that the "Pinoy" assemblers in Luzon (just like your local Pinoy) does not like Grease so when they assemble the Bike they don't grease the Bearings, this is not alwise the case but very often, the same is also true for the Steering Head Bearings, which brings to mind that this "Steering Head Bearing" very often is the first thing which needs replacing, the bad Roads and I suspect to much tightening when assembled wears them out
    at about 10-15'000km, the next thing is usualy the Clutch which is just to weak.

More next time

Everybody have a good time

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.