Dumaguete Info Search

how many non locals?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by up2u, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi India, perhaps for rhoody, but for some could be the whole aura of Dumaguete and Negros Oriental and its inhabitants.:wink:

2. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's my guess, Swany. It's people with a positive, fun, outlook on life, which sometimes goes beyond being "gentle":wink:

3. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You're right Hokies. Thanks for the reply, from a fun loving positive person. :wink: :smile:

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Dumaguete Expat community

hehe, ok you guys forced me to write about the expat community in DGTE. It is the rudest one I saw in the philippines, examples? here you go...
    sit on a table next to them and listen what about and how they talk, complaining about each and everything. Most don't have any outlook in life West Coast. Most don't enjoy their life, but they can pretend having money in a poor 3rd world country. When I walk on the streets and see a longnose, I say automatically Hello, They look at me like I am from another planet.
    I never expierienced that in that extreme way in other philippino cities. Go to a Pub in Batangas, Cebu, Palawan, Cavite, Manila, AC and say "Hello" you get a friendly Hello, how are you, where you from ..... and and and back, and you talk the next few hours. Here many say Hello and immediately correct their sitting position that you see their back and they don't have to talk to you.. Most of them have a grumpy face, thay could be germans... complaining and kuripod... hehe

What makes life here so fantastic are the "gentle" people of Dumaguete, the beauty of the countryside, the laidback lifestyle. That is what makes Dumaguete to that place for me. Hanging out with the locals, celebrating fiestas, watching parades.

In the three years I am here in Dumaguete now, I also met some great long-noses. Funny enough that this guys are all somehow connected to the Locals, either running small business with their asawas, living in the middle of the local community or have somehow connection to Dumaguete and participating in the local life. But those are very few compared to the high number of Expats here in the Duma Area.
    The Duma - Expat is sitting grumpy inside his 4 walls, why do you think there is no "real" pub in this city, where you just go and meet them. For that ammount of foreigners there should be at least 2 or three places where "Newbees" just go and are in the middle of the Expat community, like in most other cities in the Philippines.

We had the discussion in other thread's before, why you can't buy proper food here, why there is no pub....

Lets try something, to all the Expats philippinos and everybody else on the board living here in the Duma-area, let's meet next Thursday at 5 pm at Devlins, for some talking, having a cold drink knowing each other more, after that we head to town and hang out together for some more fun....

Let's do something... Together

Rhoody

5. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Some interesting and diverging views here...

About the ladies - as the place has no lady bars, it seems that there are several places in the Phils that would be much better for that. Surely, people don't live in DMGT for the girl action?? They're in the wrong place! They should of headed north from MNL Airport, not south! Haven't they figured that out yet?! ...

But, maybe it is just a combination of factors - sea, sun, locals, diving and girls ... and you know what they say "A crowd attracts a crowd".

6. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Rhoody,

Re: your "Dumaguete Expat community" post

Thanks for the insight and honest nature of your observations.

Perhaps it's a result of the difference in the way people act when they live in a place, rather than visit on holiday? Holiday makers tend to be more approachable and friendly, whereas locals tend to be more absorbed with their own lives and troubles etc?

Also, it could just be one more sign of the breakdown in community structures in the 'West'. In most 'Western' places there is no community left! Yes, there are exceptions, but I'm making a valid generalisation.

Go to any big city in Europe and people don't even give you the time of day! Everyone is so busy with their own important lives and making money (insert more reasons here, whatever). Also, technology plays a crucial role in this. It has been said that freedom of information, modern technology, communications and the internet, is actually pushing us further apart, not bringing us closer together. Now we can all sit at home and communicate by email, SMS etc, we don't need to meet, and anonymity also invites bad behaviour ...

In Philippines, as in much of the second and third world, this has not happened and community remains strong. Maybe this is why expats stand out so much in Negros?

7. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    GOOD observation ZambesiKid.

8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    rhoody is being very diplomatic. I can help. Do a google search on Why not Disco, or Dumaguete, tally the results.

Sorry to say, it's getting more true all the time, girls are geting more savy, and less genuine, foreigners are increasingly jaded and predatorial. It's Why I live not anywhere near the Bvld.
    Still a great place to live for all the right reasons, once you get past the initial points of contact for "tourists".

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    HEHE, me and diplomatic.... good one...
    I just can't use the words I do use when I talk private, I would be banned even before I press the "post quick reply"-button. But when we met before, we talked abot our expats in Duma.
    One thing about the behavior of most of the expatius dumagueteii (scientific name) is, that they only come out during daytime and stick faithfully to their habitat (two or three different location in Duma) after sunset they crawl back to their secutity - guarded cage.... ooops I mean subdivision, where they are counted that nobody gets lost...

cheers

Rhoody

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Somehow, I missed your second longer post Rhoody, maybe I am still not so observent. So you are not so diplomatic, I take it back...

To add to th post about community breakdown, I have observed some people can do a complete dissonnect, and behave quite civilized at home, but go on vacation to a far off place, then better judgement, moral discipline is held in suspension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.