Dumaguete Info Search

how many non locals?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by up2u, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Looking around Dumaguete there are so many beautiful ladies that this might come as a shock to some people, the proportion of femails to males is one of the lowest of any philippine city. maybe that excludes students I don't know.

2. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    If you are looking for statistics/demographics facts and figures go do a search at Wikpedia or google.
    If you want opinions you are in the right place! Seriously, part of the difficulty assessing the types of Foreign visitors and residents here many of us are invisible, the most visible ones are the hanger outers at the places Rhoody mentioned. I'll give my unscientific, somewhat objective look on what you can find here. I have no idea about the numbers of people.

Tourists: couples families and group tours. come for a weekend or weeks stay, hang out at the BVLD, stay ina resort or hotel, dive, sightsee, then move on.

Other kinds of Tourists: looking for, girlfriend or girlfriends,one night stands, two week relationships etc.,coupled with other activities such as diving. Also come and go. There is an overlap here as to what the main purpose of the visit is. You see groups of single euros or Americans hanging out together.

Tourists that come for 6 months or a year then go home and return, some of these all male variety have "wives", or GF's and have set up a home here of sorts.

Semi permanent and permanent residents: I would guess mosly retired males with Filipina wives or sometimes single. These you will see mostly assimlated in one of two ways(my quick opinion).

Those that live in compounds together, eat, drink and party together on a regular basis, stick to a group of like kind. Some of these Men go to dunkin donuts in the morning to converse like the did back home. Man frequent the BVLD for the same reasons, friends of the same ilk. Some of the property owners in this group don't hang out at the bvld etc. but stick to their old life style pretty much.

Those that meld into the community, have many Filipino friends, try to understand and accept the local culture, These guys and families are hard to find and quantify as they are not always living in groups, or even in some cases, in the city for that matter. some more of this group actually have bussinesses, hence their better integration into the local scene, city gov, banking, etc.

I tried not to be negative about any of the above, but my opinions are well documened in other posts and threads.:smile:

Certainly there is lot of overlap, but maybe this can be of some descriptive value.

The unspoken reality is that 90% of foriegners here are adult males over 40 either with or without families. Mostly I am guesing anglo, some Japanese in second place.

I see very few anglo family units here, but there are some. I have seen also only one male Filipino, anglo wife scenario. But I don't get out much.

Young male tourists are on the increase, probably on a diving holiday. But still in the minority.

There are increasing numbers of middle eastern men coming these days.

Not sure this is an accurate picture, but my quick and dirty assssment.

3. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    OOOOOOOoooooooooooohhhhhhhhhHHHHH !!!!

The sore point! Middle Eastern males. Please bring them on. They will make us North American males (of which I am one) look like absolutely wonderful persons by comparison.

I did not count on their presence - at all - in my Philippines planning: the unknown factor.

4. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply RHB. That is enlightening and most useful ... an analysis of the expat community that live in DMGT ...

I don't read it as negative at all, just observations of what ,and who, you see. :smile:

But it seems to address the issue of WHO lives in DMGT, rather than WHY.

Sorry if my question was unclear on that, but I was rather looking to understand WHY expat people choose to live in DMGT. Cos there is a greater than proportionate number of expats in DMGT, so it must be more than just 'chance'. :smile:

Still, interesting to read all the same RHB, and thx again. :smile:

Davfitz - nice Sig! :cool:

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Zambesi WHY, was is not the topic of the thread, I guess that's why RHB answered like that.
    hmmm I hope I meet Grace later this evening that she leads me home when I am drunk....

sorry for my comments, Brain is on weekend-mode, starts working again on monday 5.30 am.

Rhoody

6. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sorry Rhoody, not sure at all what you mean to say here ! Can you try again?

The topic of the thread was actually 'How many non locals' ... :smile:

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    exactly, that is the topic, and you posted earlier:

But it seems to address the issue of WHO lives in DMGT, rather than WHY.

the answer how many is earlier in the thread, and RHB completed the answer with his post.
    and Grace is also a answer to your post....
    simple as it is

8. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    yes I have seen soem more middle eatern males
    great shame
    mostly iranians
    what they are doing in a christain society I don't know
    they are disrespectful to the locals and hopefully will go back to the sandpit before too long

9. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Well I'll take a stab at"why" even though it was not the topic.

First I have lived only in a few places here in the Philippines, so I am not qualified in any way.

Actual foreigners living in dumaguete proper, not so many, foreigners living in Negros Oriental maybe close to the numbers quoted. Outlying areas , Dauin, Zambo, Siaton south. And tanjay Amlan etc. North, all end up here to conduct bussiness, banking, shopping, LTO, health care. Talked to a couple guys who say less than 5 years ago, most of the area foreigners new each other, now that has changed.
    Word of mouth I would guess is the biggest reason. websites like this one as well.

you see so many foreigners here on a daily basis because the aiport is here as well as the major ports of call for ferries. The Bvld is the focal point for all things visitor, so it is the first place visitors end up.

10. Justin Case

Justin Case DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Some of us foreigners are here because we possess the pioneering spirit in our genes, we are moving out of the overcrowded, over industrialized police states that our home countries have become and moved here to the Visayas, in the quest for freedom and opportunity for the future generations of our respective families.

And some guys are here to get laid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.