Dumaguete Info Search

How to land a job in the US!!!

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by archon_manofsteel, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene

Gene DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Archon;
    As far as I know there are two options to go abroad that seems the easiest. One at least in Canada is to take courses in Childcare as this kind of job has a big chance of getting an immigrant status after two years of work, then the other option is to get a job outside the Philippines and make your application to go to North America through the Embassy there.But I have to warn you that their is a big possibility that your education in the Philippines is not recognized in Canada, you have to start all over again from the bottom!

2. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Archon,

What are your trade skills and education? Maybe providing that information will give people more thoughts in providing you some advice. Gene has given you alot of great feedback, so hopefully his advice will help settle your mind on a basic plan of action.

Sincerely,

Tom

3. OP
    OP
    archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    graduated in silliman university in 2004, B.S. in mechanical engineering (not yet licensed). Currently a copyeditor for more than 2 yrs. in Spi Global Solutions, Inc.; a former supervisor in my former job in a sports club; part-time musician; events organizing (pageant, concerts), marketing, computer literate (MicrosoftWord, Excel, PowerPoint, OpenOffice), etc.

4. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    SimplyHired.com

monster.com

careerbuilder.com

Some of these job sites are sort of career specific, for example dice.com concentrates on the technology industry and and I'm sure if you just do a web search you'll find others that are job/career specific. Without being licenced with your engineering degree, you may have difficulty getting hired in that field, but you never know. Archon, like a couple others said, It all depends on the career you chose. I think you are fortunate in one respect, and that is the excellent reputation of workers from the Philippines. So, if nothing else, many folks from the Philippines have paved a nice way for you already, all you need is that elusive break. I also know that you will get a job in Canada or the U.S. if you want it, provided you don't have a criminal record that might cause problems, but, and here is the rub, you may have to take a job that is alot less suited to your abilities just to get started. As far as getting someone to pay for your airplane ticket??? If thar were possible, then I'm pretty sure there would be more expats than Filipinos living in the Philippines because alot would love to take a free trip, so I'm pretty sure that would be out. Probably the only suggested for an airplane ticket is the only thing you've probably already thought about, and that is working extra jobs/hours and saving. It may take a couple years for your plan to materialize but it can happen. So along with a work visa and all the good information you've received from others on this string, it seems the hard part is for you to get started.

Sincerely,

Tom

5. OP
    OP
    archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Thanks Tom! well taken

Good day!! :smile:

6. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    in the 1950-1975 period a lot of brits emigrated to australia, canada, usa ,new zealand, the standard of living was better in these countries at that time, I have visited quiet a few of these places in the last few years, and my observation is that london has as a higher standard of living than nearly all of them, I say london because the salary and job vacancies are much better than the rest of the U.K .The best manual job in london a few years ago was a plumber, most earned more than 1000 pounds a week my mate used to make a lot more self employed, but things have changed in the last few years, lots of eastern europeans have arrived and wage rates have fallen a bit, still one of the best town's in the world to make a living.

7. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No offense, but Melvins been to London and I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than go back there for any reason. Rank it right up there with S.A. as a place to avoid at all costs.

Avoid the US, but BC Canada is 5 star for a good working environment.

Also, if your going to make money, stay away from the cruise ship industry. They're pitting the Latins against the Pinoys to see who's work the cheapest and take the most abuse.

OCW's in the know take the Ireland jobs. Thats the place to go!

Ireland
    Ireland
    Ireland!

8. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ireland... been there once :D

9. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes so true melvin, making money and standard of life is different. I like it here in the P.I is so much more friendly too

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree London sucks, ok you can make £1000 but cost of living is sky high,
    plus inland revenue (tax) will soak up most of whats left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.