Dumaguete Info Search

I became a little disenfranchised

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by carl, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have have felt safe here for 13 years. probably because I respect people rather then threaten them. If you put up threating signs you are inviting someone to challenge you when you least expect it.
    Ron

2. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    total respect

Ive got total respect for all of the Philippine people .Ive been there a couple dozen times . I know the people , I know the culture , but I have heard some disturbing things from right there in Dumaguete . I dont make threats . I get along very well with others ,and I dont think putting up warning signs is a threat of ANY kind , its simply a kind gesture to let the BAD people know to maybe pass on this property if they are thinking of doing something that is of harm or damage and probably be in their best interest to go to the next home . Simple as that . The signs work very well here in the USA . Besides , it was just a thought so please dont attack me just yet . thanks , .....Carl

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Carl, you might need to rethink what you know about people here. warning signs from a foreigner and guest on a property he does not even own could be very well taken as a threat and people could get offended easily.

I am also very sure that you heard that from a person who also only heard it from someone else that something somehow happened but did not encounter any danger by himself.

If we talk about the same person, I had quite some chats about that topic with him before and i asked direct if HE ever saw or encountered personal risks. The answer was always, NO, but there was something in the neighborhood my asawa said... or similar.

I totally do respect the decision and opinion that it is unsafe and the necessary steps from dogs to security guards to moving somewhere else.

I just wonder a bit if you have bee here 25 times or more that you need to ask that kind of question.

Carl, just come here like you did many times before and look around. After a few weeks I am sure you will find the appropriate measurements for you and your family.

cheers

Rhoody

4. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I've lived here for 6 months and have felt completely safe with the exceptions of being on the roads at night with people driving with there lights off.

as far as crime? sure there's crime everywhere. where can you go with no crime.

as for weapons..Leave that stuff at home. buy a yapper dog or something.

But come see for yourself, it's a good place to live

5. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Opinions well taken

Well i appreciate all of the opinions that this thread has created , good and bad . I will be moving to Dumaguete as I have already invested plenty there . As far as the property goes that we will be residing , well it is owned by a philippina , my wife . Maybe I might be over reacting a bit , i dont know . maybe im being over protective of my children . Putting up some signs on my property , in my opinion , is not a bad thing . signs of that nature are for one intent . they keep the good people honest and the bad people on alert . If a simple sign brings trouble , oh well , bring it on . Ive never turned my back to trouble , especially if it comes to protecting my family . simple as that . Have a wonderful day all , .....Carl

6. RonEtue

RonEtue DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The best way to protect your family is to lay low, don't talk to much. don't be flashy, forget arrogance and especially weapons.... Just be a good country boy and take care of your family and stay away from trouble and you will feel safe here. Carl, be a good boy and Dumaguete will welcome you. Remember.... if you make your bed nice, you will sleep very well!

Cheers,
    Ron

By the way Carl...there is no such thing in Philippines as NON DEEDED PROPERTY that foreigners can own..... just to let you know.

7. RonEtue

RonEtue DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Pedro from Jacksonville Florida.

You have nothing to worry about in Dumaguete.... compared to your own city Dumaguete is a heaven. Read below;

Year 2006

Jacksonville Violent Crimes 6663
    Jacksonville Murders 110
    Jacksonville Rapes 218
    Jacksonville Robberies 2304
    Jacksonville Aggravated Assaults 4031

Jacksonville Property Crimes 43103
    Jacksonville Burglaries 9615
    Jacksonville Larceny/Thefts 29167
    Jacksonville Motor Vehicle Thefts 4321
    Jacksonville Arsons 172

http://jacksonvillefl.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

Crime rate in jacksonville is appr. 25% higher than the US average.

As far as education in USA, it has reached the rock bottom...and there are clear evidence of a better school system in the Philippines. Just ask around , talk to foreigners with experience and no guess work.

I do understand why you like to get away from Jacksonville.

Cheers.

Ron

PS...Just found an article.......

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ws-good-and-bad-duval-down-crime-rate-highest

The bad news is Jacksonville still had the highest crime rate in the state per 100,000 population and the highest per-capita murder rate of all metropolitan areas in the state. The murder rate has been the highest for 11 years running.

But total crime in Jacksonville dropped 9.7 percent from the previous year with violent crime down 14 percent.

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You are not allowed as a foreigner to own a firearm !

Your Filipina wife however can own a firearm.

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    True that, and (depending on who you talk to) you can "borrow" it if need be.

10. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I like that knowdafish

I may have to borrow it once in a while , plus I love shooting . That's one of the downfalls of moving . Leaving all of my weapons behind :( :( :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.