Dumaguete Info Search

I Caught a Lobster Today

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I was out snorkeling today trying to catch a few new fish for our salt water aquarium when suddenly I saw a couple of antennas poke out from under a rock...

About an hour later I finally got this little critter pulled out, and off he went, d*mn they swim fast hehehe, but I went after him and when he then his under a small rock, I could lift the rock and pin him to the bottom until I could grab him with my net.

So we now have a little lobster fellow in the aquarium.

I also caught a puffer fish who is now puffing along with the lobster.

All in all a good catch today :smile:

2. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So when will you eat it? :D

They probably swim just as fast as prawns. Those guys are fast.

3. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Lobster in Aquarium

It is just a little fellow, so I think I will let him stay in the aquarium for a few days to observe him, and then I will throw him back out in the ocean where he will probably be much happier anyways :smile:

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi Mr. Dane. If you get a chance post a picture of the lucky lobster. I actually work with one of the best lobster researchers on the planet here at the uni...and I can ask him to identify it...and at the very least - we'll know if it is good to eat...If it is....I'll keep an eye out for them....From Zambo to Bacong....kiss them goodbye once I get there...:D

5. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Lobster from Dauin

Sure, I am sad to say he didnt make it through the night, maybe the fight when he got caught was too much for him...

He was a little fellow and I would have loved to observe him in the aquarium for a while, I have never seen lobsters in aquariums other than in seafood restaurants... And that does not really count :smile:

[​IMG]

6. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I'm pretty sure I know what it is.....good tucker...but I'll let the expert pass final judgement. It's this guy Bruce who studies lobsters....flies all over the planet to give advice on lobster management issues..

http://muresk.curtin.edu.au/staff/bruce/index.html

He was at the Christmas party yesterday so he hasn't left town...will let you know all about your lobster soon.

7. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bruce tells me it definitely is Panulirus versicolor, Blue Spiny Lobster...I thought it was.
    Definitely good to eat too. Well, that's another hobby for the retirement to-do list.:smile:

8. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    You would need around 25 of these to make a decent meal :smile:

That said we have a guy swimming around outside at night with goggles and a flashlight, maybe he is searching for lobsters :smile:

9. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    If he's out there at night he probably is taking all the big ones. You're going to have to give him the hard word...tell him about the three-mile limit..

If that doesn't work you can always strap a shark fin to your back and quietly slide into the water....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.