Dumaguete Info Search

i love dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ders a fish, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spook12

spook12 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Thank-you Kyliegriffin,
    I was wondering what to expect for I have been all over the world and now since I have met a really nice and charming woman from Dum I figured why live anywhere else. I am really tired of the rat race life that Chicago offers (they now have cameras in the red lights and if you go to a red u pay $150) so life in the big cities is not what it is cut for. I have been to Cebu and Bohol and really liked the life. But I have asked many PI visitors if they would retire there and have not found one that would. I have my businesses in the Chicago area so I think I will probably just do the winter thing and avoid the harsh Chicago Winters. So any information that you can provide will be helpful. I see I will have to give up spicy Maexican Foods and our famous Deep DIsh Chicago Pizzas but maybe the harsh weather I am leaving will make up for that. Thanks and I really like this site. urs The Spook

2. kyliegriffin

kyliegriffin DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You are welcome Spook. Go ahead, try the winter thing, your business in Chicago and you retiring in Dumaguete. A good way to cut costs. ^_^ Don't worry about Spicy Mexican foods which you can get, if you want, our very own improvised courtesy of Mangga, i think is the name they call the local carenderia past STI in Dumaguete. And should you feel the need to crave Chicago Pizza,my personal favorite, you can always have a slice at Sbarro in Cebu. ^_^

3. spook12

spook12 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thnk-you very much Kyliegriffin. I am glad you responded and I have always said all I need in life is a cable tv hook up. a computer hook-up and electric and I can survive. I am not a fussy person and look forward to Dumaguete for it seems a lot better where I am now. if the people are as nice as you all say boy I may be in HEAVEN.

4. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Hi Spook Dumaguete has Cable 72 channels and plenty of different styles of pizza including a copy of Chicago deep dish also broad band internet service if those are your only worries than you have none to worry about. Hope to see you here soon

5. spook12

spook12 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank-you Bikerdave and I will look forward to coming there for I am liking the place more and more as I learn more. Boy working hard and saving up and eventually paid off.It looks like Dumaguente sure beats this COLD snowy weather of the Chicago area.

6. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Welcome to Dumaguete, soon, spook. Know you'll enjoy the ambience of the city and the people there are very friendly and hospitable. Once you befriended them and, in turn they got to know you, you'll get invited to the grand wedding banquets or any banquets on special occasions and you get to taste the filipino cuisine. You'll be amazed by their hospitality and generosity.

7. spook12

spook12 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank-you very much for the info. I have met a woman from there and who knows where this may go. I have traveled all over the world and have been to Bohol and Cebu and liked it a lot but lately I have ben going to Bogota and Bogota is just too big for me. I like the simple friendly safeness that I seem to be reding about from Dom so I will look forward to coming there and if the Us economy goes well then maybe June if not then next year for I run a business in the US. I hate to leave my "Golden Goose". Also I like to make maoney --so are there possibilities of doing anything there? Thank-you ever so much yours Jim

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hmm..if you have well performing investments or business interests in the US - leave them there. Especially in this economic situation. I can count the number of successful LONG-TERM expat businesses in the Visayas that I know of in thirty years of traveling and briefly working there a couple times - on one hand - with two fingers left over. Leave it in the US. Just relax and enjoy yourself and live on what your efforts have produced. Surprised about your feelings to Bohol and Cebu. Particularly Bohol. Panglao - and once you get an hour so from Tagbilaran - do offer the white sand beach life you seem to look for. Cebu has plenty too if you go far enough. Just have to get a bit away for it. My only grumble with Bohol is the very deficient level of medical care. Not that I need it now for anything serious, but my experiences there have been less than wonderful for ordinary issues. Anyway, have a good look around - take your time. Iloilo, Dumaguete, Bacolod, Tagbilaran, Camiguin, Romblon, etc...plenty to consider...Do what we'll be doing - base in one that offers the best lifestyle and travel to the others constantly for the relaxation and diving.

9. spook12

spook12 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have read many posts so can I conclude there are more Europeans then Americans living in Dom. or am I wrong. I think further if you break it down probably more people from California and Nevada since these 2 stses offer direct flights to the Philippines then the other states. So is this true or am I wrong?? Just something I was thinking of.

10. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Just remember as the saying goes"The only way to leave the Philippines with a small fortune is to arrive with a large one............. Dumaguete has ex-pats from all over if they are from your own country means nothing.. Choose your friends carefully

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.