Dumaguete Info Search

importing pets

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by tlrtraveler, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Has anyone had any experience in bringing a dog into the Philippines?? I am planning to relocate in September and would appreciate any information regarding regulations and obstacles to importing a pet dog. Thanks!

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I brought two dogs from US to Manila a few years ago. I used an US agency and they hooked up with a Manila agency. There is a form the vet has to fill out and certain shots and other requirements. They rode in an area of the cargo section set up for animal transfers, on the same plane we were on. It was quite expensive but my company paid for it. You pick a the dogs up at a specific baggage area and present the vet papers.

3. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Hope you think about the dog first, and consider whether it is the type of breed that will adjust to the oppressive heat of the Philippines. Anything more suited to cool climates or with a long thick coat is a no-no.

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Roger, you make a good point. The dogs I brought over were long hair Yorkies. We had to cut and keep their hair short, and they wanted to have aircon 24/7. My current minpin hates the heat and spends very little time outside.

5. Relayer

Relayer Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I brought my AKC registered Bull Terrier from San Antonio. I did all the paperwork and worked the airfare myself as companies wanted about $3000 to move him. It cost me about $1500 including his vet and "gifting" customs agents in Manilla to move their asses and get me my dog! All an agent will do for you is pick up and deliver, maybe help with your paper work but they wont give extra care to your dogs. They are NOT worth the extra money. DIY!

You need to get certificates from your vet, from your state vet with clearence, and then from the Phil Embassy in DC. Its pretty easy really. Each airline as specific directions regarding thier protocal. I used Continental and they pretty much sucked.

Transport from America to MNL is aweful as his cage was full of pee when I got him out in MNL. He was required to overnight in Hawaii as per Continentall and they said they woulld walk him, feed him, kennel him, yeah right, when I finally let him out of his carrier he laid a duce like a carabou and peed like a racehourse. He was starving and thirsty. Nice job Continental A-Holes!
    Poor guy!

Funny thing is PAL just charged me exess baggage for him so from MNL to DGT was like 1000php. lol They were really cool. Except they thought he looked more like a pig and not a dog. lol

The joy of having my pal here with me makes it worth the hassel of transport. My dog has contracted a skin disease that requires meds everyday. I take him to ACUNA and hes good doctor. You should talk to him before you bring your pet.

Its hard on the pet here and I believe his life expetantcy is reduced here. Keep in mind, the travel is one thing, life here isnt easy on dogs. Theres alot of disease here. The heat and hummity is hard as well but the dog can get use to that. My dog is an inside outside dog. There is no need for the dog to be a slave to aircon as his master is.

thats my 2cents... well maybe its more like a nickel as this is a long post.

6. OP
    OP
    tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Thanks for the info, PatO, Roger and Relayer----. Since one of the major concerns was safety for the "pooch", you sure helped raise some issues i had not considered. Thanks again!

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    The other problem you'll have here with bringing a "socialized" dog from the States is that people here don't adhere to any leash laws and let their stray dogs run wild and untrained. Generally speaking, dog owners here take zero responsibility for their own dogs and treat them poorly.

If you'r dog is leash trained and you try taking it for walks, count on many other dogs joining in a pack-style attack. They won't be on leashes and will run the streets and attempt to attack your trained dog.

8. Relayer

Relayer Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point OMW. I carry a pepper spray. They come at my dogs in packs and runaway like the garbage they are. They fall behind and attack from the rear. Keep that in mind. They will not confront you head on... they must have learned that from their filipino masters! hahahahahaha Just Joking Now!

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Not to sidetrack the OP. But, have you ever watched Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer show on Nat Geo? Wednesday nights at 10PM and it's fantastic.

I use a single technique and I can now walk my 2 smallerdogs through my neighborhood unchallenged....

10. E-man

E-man DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to know if you will share the technique you are using. I have 2 very good Labradors both males and have had one bad experience. Please share your knowledge. Thx.