Dumaguete Info Search

In prep for moving there, I have a question

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PoolBum, Nov 7, 2007.

1. PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi all,
    Well, the time is fast approaching when I will be relocating to Dumaguete (end of January). My lovely gal has already moved there and rented a small apartment for us to use as a base for finding a larger more permanent rental. I have a couple things I'd like input on. BTW, meeting the ex-pat group for drinks last August helped me decide that Dumaguete is the right place. Thanks for that.

I am seriously considering getting a Special Retirement Visa (SRV). Apparently, as a foreigner I need only deposit a chunk of money into one of several Ph banks and pass a physical exam to qualify. The stated benefits are appealing: permanent residency with unlimited multiple entry, to bring up to $7000 of household goods duty free and the availability of work and schooling permits. After 30 days the money can be withdrawn but only for investment purposes: buy a condo, build a house (but still can't own the land), buy stocks or open a business. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with the SRV or have any comments on the reality of it compared with the promises of it?

One other thing. The visa process happens in Manila. I have never been in Manila except inside the airport. I have heard stories about bandits stopping taxis leaving the airport at gunpoint:eek:. Is this what you meant when you said "for the safety of passengers"?

If this is a serious concern, can anyone suggest what sort of precautions might be taken to minimize the risk? Needing to get downtown for the visa stuff doesn't allow me to take the "safer" shuttle. Am I being paranoid?

I am looking forward to seeing you all again.
    Salamat,
    I will be surprised if anyone remembers me (well, maybe Dane as we talked at length) but it was at a nice bar owned by a music-loving rock-n-roller with a large outdoor area. A fine Filipino musician sat at the table with us and played his guitar. Can't remember the name of the place.

2. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have never experienced that in Manila during the numerous times I have come home and landed there. Mind you I always travel light. Will you be having lots of luggage with you?
    The only thing I would advise is just don't wear flashy jewelry or anything that can attract the kind of people you don't want. If you're planning on staying at the hotels by Roxas Boulevard (Hyatt or Philippine Heritage) they have reps waiting as soon as you are outside. You'll be alright just be sensible.
    Welcome to the forum, to our city and best of luck on your upcoming move.

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Yes, I'm also member of the SRRV 'community'. Put your specific questions to my email address or as PM and I will answer you.
    I hope you don't need your deposit already returned within the first two or three months. It asks for quite a lot of paperwork to be completed and to be checked by the PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) and can sometimes takes months to comply with the requirements. In my (specific) case ..... after 16 months I still do not have the necessary documents to ask my deposit refunded. But that has mainly to do with my specific case, so don't be freightened by that.

Yea, a bit. Never had any problem. To play even more sure ....take a taxi via the official taxi-office when leaving the arrival hall. They give you a ticket which you can return with complaints if any. It works preventiv.
    More comfortable indeed....ask your hotel to have you picked up.

4. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Remember this:

Absolutely anything can happen in Manila, but if you're cool, nothing usually does.:cool:

5. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You know what... this forum and everyone I have had direct dealings with are awesome. Thanks for such useful and fast replies. Here's one more question: Why can't everybody everywhere be as friendly and willing to help as they are here? What would be the harm in that? Uh oh... I think was 2 questions!:eek:

6. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Because some people are right _______s :D please feel free to fill in the blank.

7. tomhelenscott

tomhelenscott DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

8. Dreamer

Dreamer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    We are currently going the SRRV route. We have decided to do it directly through Manila rather than trying to do stuff here. ( Our daughter waited 18 months trying to get work visas through here) We are being helped through it by an acredited marketer for PRA and she has been amazingly helpful so far.She has emailed us and phoned us as we have been setting up our bank account etc. She is meeting us where we are staying in Manila to get finger prints done and taking us to do medicals to fit in with our time schedule. Not sure yet how much her help will cost us from what we can work out it is very little and to us it is worth it for someone else to take the hassle of hanging about waiting our turn at various locations. If you are interested I will let you know how we get on. She has promised it will be all through within ten days ! Well you never know it may happen :smile:

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    It took me only 2 days in Manila (directly after my arrival there) and indeed the help was fantastic. No hassle at all. But I had them contacted already from my home place so I knew what to take with me and what to expect. The deposit-amount of 20000 USD I had transferred to the PRA accredited bank 2 weeks before I left my country.
    The SRRV ID card I got some time later if I'm well remembering.
    I did not have to pay 1 dime to the person who acted as Marketeer for the PRA.
    He got payed by the PRA for every SRRV member he brings in and supports. PRA people went with me to the different places and did refuse to accept some tip.
    Yes, there are good examples as well :cool:

10. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Jellyfish that is good news and confirms what I have been told by the PRA folks I have had contact with via email. Your take on this has eased my mind... Thanks.