Dumaguete Info Search

International Drivers Lic.

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by hill topper, Dec 6, 2008.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Most countries will allow one to drive using the government issued license from their own country for a limited amount of time. An international drivers license is NOT government issued, it is issued by auto clubs and insurance companies, and is little more than a translation card. It is not even good for ID. Try cashing a check using one!

Larry

2. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    coyote

Glad you're back Coyote....:smile:

Rumor has it that you've left us :D .

Cheers

3. OP
    OP
    hill topper

hill topper DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shadow, your saying if I have my valid drivers lic. from The US and I get an international so called drivers lic. from a auto club having both of these documents I can drive in the Philippines as long a my US drivers lic. are Valid. If I am not reading you right what do you have to go through to get a philippine drivers lic. when I retire in the Philippines this summer as I just bought a house and I already have a 4 wheel drive van that I drove from this past Jan. to july 2008. My brothernlaw is a cop there he never said anything to me about drivers lic. I am one of those people that likes everything legal. :-) Let me know..Thanks, Alan Maryann's husband.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    MaryAnn, you can drive on your current license for 90 days. You don't need an international license, and an international license will do absolutely NOTHING for you.

At any time during that 90 days, you can take your current license to LTO and apply for a Philippine license. You do not have to surrender your current license, you simply show it to them and they will make a photocopy.

Larry

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Alan, question 2 & 3 on the FAQ page on the LTO website answer your questions;

The Land Transportation Office of the Philippines

Larry

6. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Allan & MaryAnn,
    I got my Philippine drivers license in Cebu a couple months ago. It took half a day and cost a few hundred pesos except for drug, eye, and medical check which cost a few hundred more in some hole in the wall clinics across the highway. It was a hassle but the license is good for 3 or 4 years and you keep your original foreign license. Bring a book and be patient. Good Luck

7. MrShim

MrShim DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here, I picked up a Philippine drivers license in a day in Dumaguete. Lots of sitting around and waiting once you get past the photos, drug test, photocopies, etc... In the end I received a temporary license on paper and have to wait 3-6 months for my actual laminated license to arrive at the LTO.