Dumaguete Info Search

Internet, dumaguete or bacolod?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ian, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Brownout is experienced in other cities too, such as Cebu. But am not sure if ours here is more severe than what they have there. At least we are told that Visayas as a whole nowadays is in shortage of power supply that's why they are constructing power plants in Cebu and in Dauin.

But regarding brownouts, I guess the long brownouts here is milder compared to the brownouts being experienced in Manila, even in some parts of Makati nowadays :smile:.

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    The typical WEEK in Dumaguete brings more power outages than the typical YEAR in Cebu City. I understand the apologists defending their place of residence, but I really don't think giving people false information is responsible, especially when those who are seeking the information have their livelihood at stake.

3. OP
    OP
    ian

ian DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you guys, i must say it remains a roller coster. One moment i feel yes it is doable and the next well you can imagine. Maybe it can work, i realize that one will need a generator for starters reading through these posts. Maybe i must concider giving it a try for a few months using caranteed stop losses and trading more swing positions. Well i just do not know maybe one must concider a different place all togther.

What about bacolod city, how is the internet and power outages there?

4. OP
    OP
    ian

ian DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And it is funny, i am currently living in a small town in a remote area close to Botswana and i have dsl. I have had no downtime in the last year but must say the weather here is hot and dry with almost no wind all year round. I whould really want to give island live a try for a year or two and Philippines seems to me the number 1 place to do so.

5. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    And I never attempted to mislead anyone. In fact I try to post facts as much as possible. I am pissed off by frequent brownouts too, when in fact it could have been better because we are the source of power. Bacolod and Cebu in fact are getting power from us, and I believe it could be better if people here become vigilant about power situation because we produce power in excess of what we need. Our province should have the priority when it comes to power rationing because we are the source in the first place. It's true, they are constructing power plants in Cebu and drilling for geothermal steam in Dauin.

One thing I have known and seen, though: NORECO is constructing new substations, and they are replacing old poles with new concrete poles. But I guess NORECO itself needs to modernize and to really come up with professional services.

But on the other hand, brownouts could give us time to take time off from work and just to walk around town, maybe in the boulevard, and smell the fresh air. Can you imagine doing the same if you are in Metro Manila or Cebu?

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    For what it's worth...... I was in Bacolod for 1-1/2 months (late November 2007 to early January 2008). In that period of time there were 3 blackouts, but the hotel we were staying at had a back-up generator. Internet worked fine (around the hotels front desk!:D) and worked fine every time we went to the internet cafe in the mall. I don't know how it is now, but I am pretty sure the electricity is on more in Bacolod than in Dumaguete!

I would definitely be using stop losses wherever you decide to live!

7. OP
    OP
    ian

ian DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use stop losses but you have to pay more in a sence if you wish to purchace a garanteed stoploss for those times the market may jump past your stoploss, i do not buy them when i mangage my trade but if you are not watching the market it is a must.
    Can anyone tell me if it is known when the blackouts will appear or is it just sudden and unexpected. I mean have they got scheduals avalible for most downtime sessions or is it just random and unpredictable?

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Blackouts are for the most part unpredictable. They did let us know though when they did have the occasional schedule for "tree trimming" and turning the power off for one Sunday a month for the last 3 months. After that the best guess is when "it's really hot", you really need it, or when it rains. :D

9. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Internet: Dumaguete or Bacolod?

Ian,
    As the Discovery Channel suggests............"Think Again". LOL!:D

I live only 23 km from Dumaguete City and do NOT have any land line phone connection, cable tv, or half-way decent internet connection. Even though I live within 2 km from a brand new Noreco 2 generating plant...we have regular, but unscheduled and unannounced brown outs very often......weekly. The new generating plant sends all of it's power over to the island of Cebu!
    "Island living" can be translated to being "extremely humid" *ALL* the time - it's not for everyone. :smile:

10. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Echir, I like your positive remark/suggestion.
    It made me laugh :D I will try it next time.
    But I will surely turn red when I'll be back home after that walk and find my beer warm and my meat spoiled :mad::o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.