Dumaguete Info Search

Internet, dumaguete or bacolod?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ian, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Then the more you should perhaps ask your fellow expats to sign up a petition and tell NORECO to shape up. The thing is, there is always that potential for our power supply to be stable and reliable.

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Don't ask foreigners/expats to get this problem fixed by whatever action to take.
    It's a Philippine country with a Philippine company (with a lot of shareholders: every member !) and that should imho be capable to make a master plan to improve in a reasonable time frame the constant delivery of a reliable power supply.
    Foreigners/expats have nothing to do with that.
    But I solved "my" problem now because I bought a generator :D
    I know that that is not the standard reaction an average Filipino can take but i don't feel responsible for taking any action as an expat.
    Why ?
    The paper (read: the members/stakeholders of Noreco II) should imho take a more sceptical and 'aggressive' attitude to force the Noreco Managers to prove their capabilities or else let others (more capable ones) do the job.
    So, I have taken my conclusions... not as an expat, but as a very disappointed customer.
    For whatever cost consequences of a brown out of more than a day, Noreco 2 won't feel responsible to compensate you for any losses.
    All the poor small businesses loose a lot of money. The lucky ones have their own generator.
    But honestly, I do realize very well that it is not easy in this country (with the heavy rainfalls, floods, storms, falling trees on the above-ground power supply lines) to have a reliable power supply system running.
    So I know it won't be as easy as in other countries with less geographical disadvantages regarding a power supply infrastructure.

3. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The thing is, with the way things are going on, I have to be contented because NORECO or Transco or NAPOCOR wouldn't listen to me if I do it alone. It has to take the power of several people or stakeholders to effect change, and it seems people here are pretty contented (or complacent), or perhaps helpless?

And perhaps this forum helps me ventilate this concern if people here are concerned as well. And I hope people here do not just put complaints on the table but help in solving problems as well.

4. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I think most expats as well as high-paying companies don't bother with petitions...they vote with their feet. They leave or they don't locate in the place that can't figure out their infrastructure in the first place.

That's where I am...I like Dumaguete, but I will not attempt to grow a business in a bad business environment. I am looking for a more suitable place to grow. In fact, as I recall, the owner of this site did the same thing, he left for a better business environment!

5. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Echir, there you're wright.
    So it is a common problem needing a well supported base to get things improved by putting pressure on the responsible organizations.
    This forum COULD certainly make some impact, although I'm very sceptical like also the Guru is mentioning.
    They miss a chance, because the big investors don't wait for it.
    I hope the NORECO managers are reading this forum also.
    Maybe we should tell them to look ??
    Somebody has friends there in the highest regions ?:smile:

6. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well said. Yeah, perhaps this place is no for everybody but for anyone who just like to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. I have been living in other cities and I say, yes, I'll still go to other places to enjoy more urbane amenities. But at the end of the day I still come home to this place where there are occasional brownouts, but where I could feel safer and I could talk more sense to people during times when I can't do anything because there's no electricity. And at the same time breathe the fresh air and look contentedly to the fairly beautiful sights around.

@jellyfish: as long as there is the beautiful and long-awaited Robinsons mall opening soon and some other businesses coming in I wouldn't mind the big money coming in or not.

But I still look to the day when things could get better in this island :smile:. And by the way, I didn't experience any brownout this week :smile:.

7. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    You're the lucky one then. Electricity was out almost all day here today. 3 Sundays in a row with all-day brown-outs.

8. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Echir was out for fishing the whole day I guess :D
    I either do mind too many big businesses here, Echir.
    I DO also enjoy that Robinson is opening soon (the opening can't shift many more months anymore in this phase of the construction :wink:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.