Dumaguete Info Search

Introducing ourselves - looking for Dumaguete pictures

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Filer, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filer

Filer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello to everybody!

My wife and I are coming in January to start taking a close look at Dumaguete as a place for retirement. We are British, currently living in Phuket, Thailand, know SE Asia quite well and now want somewhere less out-of-control and spoilt than Phuket. Dumaguete keeps on coming up high on the list of possibilities but we have never been before. We should very much like to ask for members' help on various questions as they occur to us before and after our first trip.

Perhaps the very first question is: Where can we find some images of the city -- downtown scenes and surrounding areas? Any suggestions for Web galleries of local pictures or other sources? We are interested in seeing all sides of Dumaguete. We have a lot of factual info but so far only a few standard pictures (promenade, cathedral, Silliman building, airport etc). How does Dumaguete actually look? We are curious.

2. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Filer,

I lived in Phuket for several years myself not so long ago. I still go back there a couple of times a year for business reasons.

One serious advantage that Phils has over Thailand is the immigration rules.

You can stay in the Phils without too much hassle. But in Thailand it's an absolute nightmare. Can't stay longer than 3 months in every 6, need to go to the border for a stamp, impossible work permit rules and unfair taxes ...

I came to the conclusion that they actually don't like foreigners, they are very xenophobic. My experience of the Phils in this regard is much better.

3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Filer

Check your Private Messages. I just sent you one.

Jim

4. rmlupu

rmlupu DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dumaguete Pictures

The is a good selection right here in the photo postings. I have a few as well on my site Philippines Photo Gallery by Richard Lupu at pbase.com

It is a varied and beautiful place and can change drastically when you travel up, down or inland but seems to always remain interesting and charming. :smile:

5. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Welcome to the forum Filer. Believe me, before you know it you'll make your mind up to move over to Dgte.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Just look around on the photoboard, we have hundrets of pictures here of Dumaguete, the surounding areas, people and buildings...

Welcom to the Board

Rhoody

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Dumaguete a tiny coastal city don't have all the amenities that supports the comforts comparably as you might have enjoyed in touristic Phuket .Dgte ,a small ' university town' of its description with its own character .I have read some opposing comments about Dumaguete in other sites of blogs / forums from those who have visited the place .I humbly suggest not to bury your minds with so much expectations ,but just experience this place as you go along on your visit soon .As was earlier said ,there are pictures in the photo board of some parts of Dumaguete,the streets , the market , neighboring places incase you haven't looked in, and some buried in other threads too. Btw,welcome to this forum Filer.

Here's one site with great photo essays related to dumaguete and loads of pictures in it .One of the best i find funny in this site was about the Rodeo in dumaguete and the 'Bankok thailand dare devil ' stunt around a wooden creaky cylinder during a carnival in Bohol.
    ::: Peace Corps Philippines 2004-2006 ::: Photos of everyday life in the Philippines

8. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
  9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    I agree Richard, excellent photography with great insight to Dumaguete and surrounding area
    regards john

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    Sorry Filer, intended to welcome you too,got so involved in those beautiful photos of RMPLU, well you certainly got some great photos to give you an idea of what to expect,Good luck and good wishes, john boy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.