Dumaguete Info Search

Introdusing myself.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by blackline, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minime

minime DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi,
    i am also new to this forum and found this place great to gather some info about Duma in general. we also plan to come to Dumaguete and hope to start a new life there. They say about the culture shock and i hope it would't be so hard for us adjusting to life there. I would like to know more about valencia which is near to Dumaguete and about it's accomodations especially availability of any preschools for my son. He does not speek English yet and this worries me because he might not be able to communicate with other children for the first months.I would also like to know the rental for a 2 bedroom furnished house there.The safety issue is important for me and unfortunately i couldn't find any up to date info about how safe it is there in Dumaguete or valencia . thanks

2. OP
    OP
    blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    To answer your question you need to give me some more info about you and your family. Nationality, age, etc.

But honestly I dont think you should be so worried on behalf of your son, if he is not having any trouble in socialing where he is today. Kids get along fast,and his english language probably will improve fast in filipino conditions,along with Cebuano.
    Safety in DGTE and/or Valencia.
    This also will vary upon how your appearance are.
    As a normal, polite and not trouble causing the Safety is OK.

But are you acting like money is growin on trees the safety will be lower of course.

But dont be afraid of coming to DGTE.
    I'm certainly not are afraid there. I have a lot of filipino and long nose friends there.

About scools in Valecia I dont know so much,so I hope others of the DI members can fill inn the blanks. also additional info about housing etc.

3. minime

minime DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks blackline,:smile:
    I will be coming there with my husband. we are very average i mean in terms of living,dressing up,etc. although my husband is from Iran but we are not at all the fanatic type most people in the world think about Iranians. I don't know wether u have met any Iranian people or not? Iranians are very social people and at the same time warm. their hospitality is well known and forgot to tell about their delicious food. I myself have dual citizenship because of my filipino mother and that is why we plan to come there and if we find it good live there. I am just afraid my husband will find it quite difficult because of the culture shock. I mean filipinos have totally a different culture in comparison to middle eastern people.I and my husband are both writers and i work as a translator.we also have a 5 year old son .our income here is very moderate ant basically that is why we plan to be in philippines. In iran the cost of living is very very high. about 2 thousand dollars for a family of 3 with moderate style of living.Good for u europeans because your money has some value there in philippines.Here recreation is also very expensive and aside from that the air pollution is so high.the world thinks Iran is the same old cheap country not knowing we have a high inflation here 23%and job shortage.that's all. I hope others can help me gather more info about valencia and Dumaguete and adjusting to life there.:smile:

4. OP
    OP
    blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well. I know wery well that western media tells us a picture of Iranian people far from the truth. So I know that the country has a lot of highly educated people. I know also their hospitality cause my son here in Norway have once an iranian boy as his closest friend for a while. Even me visiting them sometimes. But they moved to a different location and we loose contact.
    As writers you probably not are stright to muslim cloth codes (if you are muslims) cause Philippines have it's own problem with its muslims.
    If you are so worried about your husband culture shock,you probably should try Dumaguete as some kind of a holiday first.As to not burning all bridges before it will making you trouble and cost going back.
    You tell me of a Philipino mother. Is she living in DGTE? There should be easily possible to rent a decent furnished house to a decent price there.

5. OP
    OP
    blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Where have all the global warming gone????

A picture showing a kid here in Norway throwing boiling water into the air and making snow.

The moments in the poolbar is now just a week memory.:eek:

Attached Files:

6. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I hate Snow

I pray I never see it again...

7. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think Dumaguete is the safest place in the country. As to schools, there is no problem coz the city is also known as a University Town so you can enrol your kid anywhere. There is a public school in Valencia and a private Catholic school as well. I suggest that you consider the latter if ever you have to live in Valencia. A 2-bedroom apartment would cost around Php 5,000-7,000. Welcome to Dumaguete!

8. tina_rey

tina_rey DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello! I'm a new member to the forum but not to the city. My mother's family is from Dumaguete City, last name Nochefranca. I also would like to attend Silliman University and earn my M.S. in Marine Biology, hopefully by June and if not then October. I love the city and I think it would be great change of environment for me. It's a good thing I can understand Visaya, but sadly can't speak it.

9. OP
    OP
    blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well. Want to give you a gratulation in the choose of education.
    I think it would absolute be my choice if I were young today.:smile:
    I have been a active scuba diver since 1977.

10. minime

minime DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hello tina,
    the same as me. my mother is also from there. are you like me half bood filipino?have you been there? I actually had two years of my elementary education in Silliman. I have my best childhood memories from there. I hope to build one for my own son. Seams history repeats itself through generations. i was 5 when I first came to Duma and now my son is the same. I have heard of Silliman;s reputation and in 2004 visited it's marine laboratory. I had a wonderfull time there.I'll come back soon. I also can Understand visaya but forgot to speak. but I'm sure I will remember. are u married or single?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.