Dumaguete Info Search

Is it getting close to bugout time?

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Apr 10, 2018.

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'm not so sure a storage business would work so well. You rent out a 3x3 meter cubicle with a metal shutter and charge a couple thousand a month? After that you'll also need a round the clock security guard or workers because if you have a dozen cubicles storing stuff suspected as valuable like a person's house furnishings and such that would make it a prime target robbing 10 houses for the price of one. Value isn't really there and multi level cubicles don't go over well.

However the bigger issue I see here is what to do when someone doesn't pay? If they are 1 month, 3 months, 6 months late you'd think you could open it up and sell off whatever is inside to recover your loss but if the person shows up to try and reclaim w/o paying or taking you to court because their stuff came up gone after months of not paying I don't see the courts siding with the business owner even if their is a written agreement / contract.

In the end the space you would consume to do a storage facility could be rented out for the same price or more where you have no liability and no need to hire and pay security guards. Here in the Philippines its cheap and easy to find some crappy 3-5k hole in the wall apartment that you could reinforce the door and any window (which there usually isn't) and have far more space and better security as its not known what is stored there if anything. However in western countries there lacks other options other then storing with a friend/family and space for such a business is cheap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Pawnshops have dealt with this for a very long time in the Philippines. They must publicly announce and tell the person who didn't pay where the auction will be. I believe a proper contract would work out in bigger cities like Cebu and Manila. Dumaguete still far behind those more civilized cities.

3. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I don't think there will be nationwide fallout from the Boracay situation necessitating "bugging out." If bored and want to leave, that's fine. No need to blame Duterte for it. At least not yet.

Bigger cities like Manila and, I think, Cebu do indeed have western-style "u-store-it" type operations. And, I discovered a while back, franchises are available.