Dumaguete Info Search

Lake Balanan

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by DiverTim, Jan 29, 2019.

1. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    Decided to re-visit Lake Balanan yesterday, never made it gave up road is so HORRENDOUS that only a military style vehicle could get there. 6 years ago went HabalHabal from Siation. Dissapointed as I remember it being nice. Come on Philippines....improve your infrastructure and allow businesses to prosper.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    I have to admit that road conditions to this venue could need some improvements. However, I did make it up till the entrance with an hatchback last year upon special request of visitors staying with me, driving carefully so avoiding potholes and pebbles of unusual sizes. All in all a rather time consuming drive. Was there before on a motorbike (Yamaha 125 YBR) a bit easier.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have been there a few times in SUV and on a bike, if it not been raining I had been many worse places. It's around 10 km from the highway on a rough road with a beautiful view in the mountains, though I will not go there with a low tied car. The lake is nice, you can rent a floating cottage and bring your own food. The food you can buy in the restaurant is nothing special, I would call it a snack. I meet many Filipino on bikes with up to 5 persons on, impressed the way the can handle the bike

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Its also a nice walk around the lake and to visit the falls at the top end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    I really loved it up there 7-10 years ago, staying nights in that room with balcony that overlooks the lake. Road was bad; sad to hear that it's gotten worse and the gov doesn't fix it!! (wouldn't be difficult).

Last time I was there, worst problem was that the lower "bathing pools" were totally overrun with biting red ants!! Like a hollywood horror movie "The Ants"!!! Staff took no action on that, said that eco-rules forbid them from using ant-killers or repellents -- that seemed to me a wrong/stupid attitude for a tourist resort in the jungle.....

6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Not sure I can agree with you on that (my polite way of saying I cannot agree). Tourists should take second place to preservation of the eco-system ( a reason I will not do the 'whale shark' trip) - do we kill all the snakes, crocs and other potentially dangerous life-forms so that tourists will be safer? In fact, do we destroy the very things people come to see as that would be madness? I know some may think "Ants! but there are billions of them" - true, but they form part of a food chain and so add chemicals to their bodies and we do not know where those chemicals eventually go (and concentrate).

7. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm all in on project wild animals from elephants to ants in nature, but not in my hotel room or public area in hotels/resorts, let us keep a balance

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Agree - I think I would not class your hotel room as an eco-system, although some people's could be.

• Funny Funny x 1