Dumaguete Info Search

Land Travel Info: DGTE to Manila

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by princetonc, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princetonc

princetonc DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Guys..

I'm seriously want to try an adventure travel by land from Dumaguete to Manila? I tried looking up some info online but i find it confusing..

Has anyone tried or have information about travel time, costing where to ride roro's.

thanks very much.

2. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well there are a couple of basic ways you could go...One would be up Cebu, across to leyte, up Samar, across to Bicol, and then up to Manila. You could also go up Negos, across and up Panay, across to Mindoro and up and across to Batangas and then up to Manila. Its kind of a tough call, if you go up through Panay you could head over to Boracay and Mindoro is interesting too. But so is Bicol and you would go by Mt Mayon if you went that way. The Bicol direction would be longer but in some ways it might be the easier, seems to me some of the connections over to and up Mindoro get a little tough. The ferry over to Roxos can be a pretty rugged leg. I think if it was me I would go the Bicol route. It gives you some nice scenery and easy crossings...

3. OP
    OP
    princetonc

princetonc DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    bounty98, thanks for your quick response. if i take the bicol route, may i ask your experience with the roads? bumpy? directions hard? any information that you think will be usefull for me :smile:

I just read a thread that the roro from caticlan back to roxas is very limited so i see that as problem.

looking forward to hear more comments

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  5. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Expect the bumpy ride of 70 to 80percent of the Asphalt road is like there's a lot of pimples or band aid look a like, you know what I mean. A good examples would be that road bound to Valencia... lol! Hmmm,it takes 3 to 4 days to travel but if you dont love stop over, 2 and half days you'll reach Manila. Happy trip and von voyage!

6. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    are you driving this yourself? The roads on Samar seemed rough in terms of a lot poor patching but serviceable. Lot of places to break your trip so you could take your time. Yea if your driving you really want to go the Bicol direction, good roro connections though you do need to time them a bit. The routes are set up as a system, you can check it here and find the links. Strong Republic Nautical Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I do not think you would have any trouble with directions, pretty straight forward. Another good forum for travel advice is lonely planet, use the search engine or post questions Lonely Planet Travel Guides and Travel Information

7. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Maybe I've been here too long but I put "land trips to Manila" in the "pulling wisdom teeth" experiences category...

8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My former driver brought my car from Manila to Dumaguete using the Batangas-Panay, Bacolad route, it took him 32 hours straight, he had a co-pilot to keep him awake. He said the roads in Panay were not too good, better to go north from Iloilo in daytime. I don't remember what my gas and ferries cost but I can try and find out, if you are interested.

9. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The road from IloIlo up the west coast of Panay is in very good condition (less than 5 kms rough dirt) and a beautiful trip with high mountains on one side of the road and water on the other. There are no/very few places to stay once you leave San Jose, which has some hotel options. There is a RoRo from Caticlan heading north which I have not taken. Its possible to drive/ride from Dumaguete in a day to Bacolod, and catch the RoRo across to IloIlo.

10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    With your own car you can make Dumaguete to Bacolod in about 4 hours. As far as I know the roro from Bacolod sails to Dumangas, use it a couple of times. Not sure there's a roro from Bacolod to Iloilo. The road from Dumangas to Iloilo is a disaster and doesn't deserve to be called that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.