Dumaguete Info Search

Latest Gossip About SM Mall - Airport

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Don, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am not sure if this is right analysis because if you really take a look new stores and even a big department store (Cang's) is opening soon. And new establishments such as BPO companies and new companies such as sugar mills are opening. These definitely create big impacts on the local economy. And Lee Plaza is upgrading, and Ever mall is expanding. And new stores, even international ones (Accessorize from UK, Guess and TAF from the USA, Geox and Fila from Italy). Compared to other malls of similar size and the same population density our Robinsons here is definitely better.

The only thing with SM is that they can either open a big or small store, even a supermarket. But I do not think they want to open a mall that would be smaller than Robinsons here. So the reason for the delay is that they are waiting for the market to perk up enough for them to open a mall bigger than Robinsons.

2. Chiko

Chiko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cool. But I doubt whether this will be pushed through considering the fact that market is not big enough and power energy (electricity) is not sufficient. In fact, nowadays, Dumaguete is experiencing many blackouts/brownouts; how much more if SM will begin operating. It's a shame that they are thinking of building new malls but not considering the energy resources.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    No "energy resources" consideration needed when all the malls in the Philippines have huge back-up generators! :D

4. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    No power when the source is here...We produce power in excess, and drilling another power plant in Dauin...Political will, that's what it takes to solve power problems. We have to be selfish too and prioritize ourselves because this power comes from our soil...

As I said, SM now has all kinds of stores from supermarkets to gargantuan malls, and I think Dumaguete has market for one of these...Well maybe if they want it big then we have to wait.

5. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I spoke with the airport manager the other day. Mrs C .. (nice lady) and she was quite emphatic that the airport will not move and she also said that there were no plans to privatize it.

She told me that she was trying to get funding to improve the security of the perimeter, drainage and to put in a third parking bay. It appears that Zest Air are looking at coming here and possibly Cebu Pac and Pal may increase their frequency at some time in the foreseeable future. Cebupac does actually put in a third flight every now and then, I caught it the other day

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    An SM Grocery would sure be awesome. FAR superior to the robinsons and hypermart we currently have. I've only lived in Dumaguete since July but I sure do miss SM Grocery from where i lived in pampanga.

7. Chiko

Chiko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That if the malls can/will operate by generators only most of the time. It is more costly definitely--if not, then all the malls would be operating through generators. Thus, energy resources, e.g. electricity, are still of consideration. :D

Yeah, we are the hub of the power source, but ironically, why are we experiencing blackouts/brownouts? :eek: Certainly, we have a rich source of power resource, and it is a fact that we are supplying electricity to Cebu and Bacolod to name a few. However, we are always experiencing brownouts. Isn't it ironic?

8. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    1) I humbly disagree

2) Always? Much less than what is being reported in the metro Manila area, and Palawan.

I think it is a case of:

Maintenance, which is a good thing

Antiquated switching

When it is off all day they are doing maintenance and doing upgrades in the area. They don't/won't handle it while it is "hot", unlike the U.S. Part of it is the skills of their employees and the rest is caused by lack of the "proper" equipment.

When it is off for 5-15 minutes at a time, the electricity is being rerouted from one grid source to another.

I'll take "scheduled" maintenance 2-4 times a month and 15 minutes switching delays 3-4 times a month over having electricity only 1/2 the time like some areas of the Philippines!

Can it be better? Definitely! But 95% on is very good for the Philippines!
    The rate charged for electricity in the Dumaguete area is also inexpensive compared to a lot of areas in the Philippines also.

9. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Since early Oktober we (Bacong) have brownouts everyday, and this is not maintenance, Valencia is just selling its electricity to the one who pay the highest price and that is Cebu.

10. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I'm sorry to hear that. I was living in Bacong before I left (10/17) and did not experience brown outs everyday. By "brown outs everyday" do you mean the 5-15 minutes that the electricity is off? If so that is their switching lag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.