Dumaguete Info Search

Learning the language

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PoolBum, Jul 26, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There are many reasons I would like to become fluent. Not in any particular order:
    1. I am not comfortable always expecting others to speak English. Just doesn't seem fair.
    2. I am tired of always being left out of the most interesting (and sometimes funny) parts of a conversation.
    3. I often play billiards and poker in local (and locally owned) establishments and am often at a disadvantage. A lot of valuable info gets exchanged which I am not privy to. Besides, these are the people I see all the time and many are my friends. Of course I want to be able to have a real conversation with them.
    4. It is obvious that my gal finds it way easier to express her deepest thoughts and feelings in her native language. She manages quite well in English but often struggles to find a word and sometimes I wonder if what she said is really what she meant.
    5. This is my home now. I get tired of being treated as a tourist in many situations, not the least of which are various business transactions
    6. When I do speak what little I know, I enjoy the reaction I get... laughter, amazement and gratitude for the respect it conveys. A respect for the people who are often marginalized and treated dismissively (in their own country for goodness sakes) by foreigners. My opinion about this is quite strong. My conclusion is that it is only by an accident of birth that Westerners are born in countries where it is far easier to make money (not necessarily easy but WAY easier than here). Feeling superior because of having money is ridiculous and as the locals say: boastful.

That about sums it up.

2. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Cebuano Study Notes

Wow. Cebuano Study Notes is amazing. Daghang kaayo salamat for passing it on to me. It will be invaluable. You're right, this will be challenging and more fun then doing Sudoku to keep my brain in shape! :D

3. kinhason

kinhason DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the language

Hi Poolbum,
    I have been checking into more info re: "binisaya"
    new sites to visit:
    ERIC – Education Resources Information Center - World’s largest digital library of education literature cleck "Cebuano"
    www.digitaldialects.com/cebuano
    World Language Resources - Hundreds of Languages, Thousands of Products
    www,101Language.com/cebuano
    www.nvtc.gov/lotw/month/
    Mayrknoll Institute of Language and Culture
    Learn Cebuano this is cool too
    italki - Language Exchange and Learning Community language learning community
    Welcome to Bansa.org
    Search Results for " fsi-language-course.com " (Foreign Service Institute that's free too public domain)
    www.howto-learn-any-language.com
    Philippines Books | Travel & Information Guides
    lessons.wikapinoy.com
    www.ntlword.com/janiooijman/cebuano
    also,
    Pinoysites.org for pinoy web sites

Man, theres a lot of stuff out there, and you will be fluent before
    too long!
    maayong suerte,
    K

4. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Omg

Wow. I had no idea so much was available. I will keep the list you provided and slowly work my way through them. I seem to have less time now between my study & struggle to get a working vocabulary, get comfortable with verb tenses and try to unlock the mysteries of ang, ug, sa and nga. Did you know (I am assuming that you're not a native speaker) that "mga" besides making a noun plural can also denote "approximately" as in "mga pito ka saging" (about 7 bananas). It is challenging and turns out to be quite a bit of fun. Anyway, thanks for putting the time into researching what's out there. I really appreciate it.

5. kinhason

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the Language

Hi PoolBum,
    You are correct, I just started to get into the language when I arrived in Negros
    for a 4 1/2 month visit last Fall.
    For me when I return(I am overseas) in the Fall again I will pick up where
    I left off.
    You will have more fun when you discover that ba ka is not utilized in that order, it will sound like "cow", the binisaya word is baka.
    Just relax and use the new vocab over and over with the verbs, nouns, pronouns, and other parts of speech.
    I feel like I am not making much progress, when in fact the Filipinos, in fact
    give me thumbs up and help...they engage me whenever, and wherever.
    It has made a very rewarding impact for me, and that's what you will experience.
    If you find some sources to expand those already known, please add.
    K

6. tanjames_ph

tanjames_ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi all, I'm a Filipino and I speak very little Visayan but fluent in Tagalog. It's nice to know that you wish to learn the local language/dialect. I was just thinking that if I were to come across a caucasion who speaks the local language fluently, I'd assume that person was either born here or has been here for a really long time. That would also include the assumption that he/she already knows about the local culture, values, and eccentricities. (Kinda like if a Filipino goes to France and fluently speaks French, one would assume that Filipino should/would know enough not to desecrate good wine by putting ice cubes in it and unintentionally offend his/her French host.)

I'm thinking maybe it would be even better for you to get a grasp of the local history/culture/values in depth, that would probably help you understand why we do what we do, and why we are the way we are. It might also be to your advantage if you didn't let too many people know that you speak/understand the local dialect. That way, you get to understand what people around you are talking about while we think you don't. Knowledge is power, and that could be very valuable in certain situations. This way, you also get to hear which of the locals actually care for you and which ones are just out to make a quick buck.

Maybe there should be a special course on Philippine history/culture for expats and migrant retirees. (Hmmm, looks like I'm on to something here... I wonder how many of you would part with good money for a long term session on local stuff and stuff... Maybe we could throw in cuisine and gambling as options...)

Stay safe, stay connected, and keep on posting!

7. tanjames_ph

tanjames_ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    BTW, please don't take my previous post as totally negative to the idea of learning the language. I also find entertainment and satisfaction in picking up and using bits and pieces of various dialects whenever I am in a different region.

8. kinhason

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the language

Hi tanjames,
    Thanks for your heartfelt input. I believe there is a need for the class to introduce the Visayan culture, history, and values.
    Knowledge is power, I believe that most of the foreigners as well as the native born would benefit.
    Maybe somebody out there is planning of offering the same. Folks could part with their cash for something of value. It would take some marketing to reach this group.
    For me, I try to speak with the locals using my modest knowledge of
    "Binisaya" as much as possible. Your caution about exposing my knowledge
    is well taken dependent on the situation as well as with whom I encounter.
    For me, I don't worry about what people think of me as long as I consider
    my behavior not to be offensive,vulgar, and out of character.
    Perhaps, when I become fluent I will be horrified to learn what the folks really thinking. At this point I choose to give them the benefit of doubting something negatively directed at me.
    In any case, it is to the benefit of all in the community that
    we communicate as well as we are able.
    Thank you for the valuable time to post, share, and give advise too.
    Let's make the community stronger together.
    Kinhason

9. kinhason

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the Language

Hi Poolbum and DF members
    I want to add to the expanding list of sites that offer the folks wanting to learn
    Binisaya a helpful place to go:
    1) Living in Cebu Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board) once on site Search "cebuano"for the thread (very good)
    2) Binisaya - Cebuano to English Dictionary and Thesaurus. | Binisaya ! (this is Americanlola>blog it's lively
    3) cebuano : cebuano or sebuano
    4) www.wayblima.com/cebu-language
    5) www.globalpinoy.com/pinoyhealth/ph......(this site good for finding words in the language for say "basil" and other plants, herbs, spices etc

10. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Great info guys. I am surprisingly learning a good amount of Tagalog from watching Tagalog soaps on DVD which asawa ko can not do without. I just turn on the English sub titles and try to match the English to Tagalog. I guess this is the lazy mans way but at least I get to hear the pronunciation as its spoken as opposed to just reading it. Unfortunately there are not much movies in Visayan to try the same learning method. While my wife wants me to learn Visayan she has not been very helpful in tutoring me and it seems that I have a knack for Tagalog over Visayan. The advantage is that I will be able to communicate with most of the population with Tagalog so I do not consider it a wasted effort while I really want to learn Visayan I will just have to be patient and pick it up as I am able to. Thanks for providing the great links.