Dumaguete Info Search

Learning the language

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PoolBum, Jul 26, 2008.

1. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I am inspired, that Dobie is pretty good.

3. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A chance to learn Visaya

Hi Everyone,
    In my quest to learn Visaya I found a great instructor. She offers classes and has started the enrollment. The one I took was 3 times per week and I found it very helpful:D. I think she'd like 5 students and has 2 already. I'm not sure but it may also be possible to arrange private tutoring. I wish I could take the next class but will be too busy with the biz I'm planning to open. If you are interested you can send me an email to PoolBum2@gmail.com

4. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    :smile: oh im sorry. i am a native dumagueteno. i know bisaya. its the foreign languages i desire to learn. maybe an exchange program might do. sort of give and take. you teach me a foreign language i teach you bisaya. oh they call it cebuano but i vehemently disagree with that. here in dumaguete, we speak bisaya not cebuano.

5. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Foreign language exchange

Well Culumbinus,
    I've had that same thought that it might be nice to do a language exchange. However, your English seems very good and while my English skills are top notch the only other language I can speak (besides my growing Bisaya) is pig-latin:D.

6. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I thought that watching movies in Tagalog with English subtitles would be a great way to pick up enough Tagalog to get along (in order to understand the news or other TV shows). So, I went out looking for movies. I got one of those Bootleg vids with 18 movies which the seller assured me had English titles. Well, as you might guess most did not. One had English subtitles that were from a different movie altogether, lol. The titles were from a movie about Nazis (no kidding) and the Tagalog video was a sweet looking love story. It took me a few minutes of confusion to realize what the deal was. "Yes, I am always dedicated to the Fuehrer!" just didn't strike me as something a gal would say to her date! Anyway, where do you find Soaps with English subtitles? Thanks

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Go to Kabayancentral.com and surf to the section of movies with English subtitles, make a list and then go to one of the many video rental shops in town with your list or just make sure the DVD information on the back mentions English subtitles. Ya those boot leg movies are generally hit or miss on quality and good subtitles are too much to ask for at those prices.

Some of the Tagalog soaps to look for are the Mano Po and Maging Sino Ka Man series which are quite intertaining. Enjoy.

8. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    This was a great thread..Thanks

After years of being married to a Filipina, maybe I can start to learn a little more bisaya my wife has only taught me a little. But when I am back home in the Philippines and they start using bisaya because they know I don't understand it very well. I just start speaking Chinese and the look on their face when I am speaking to my wife is priceless. I understand far more than I can speak. But I would love to know the particulars of what they are saying. SO this thread was of great help to me and I bet many others. Thanks :D