Dumaguete Info Search

Living Budget in $USD per Month

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by devildog4, Aug 8, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Thanks everyone for their input. I think that if I am frugal and not too extravagant, I can get by on USD 2,000 a month with no problem, I hope...

2. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    devildog,

It's important that you considered how long you're planning to live on a $2,000 a month budget. With the rate of inflation & continual depreciation of USD in recent years---especially here in Asia, you might have a tough time getting by on that amount 10 years from now. It might be wise to delay retirement, work a few more years allowing an additional $500 or $1000 a month income so you can still have a reasonable amount of cash to stash away in your savings at the end of each month. Also remember, people do get sick especially as we age & medical services & medications aren't getting cheaper, unforeseen expenses, accidents etc. can happen...and if you aren't prepared, any single significant financial set backs can easily destroy what seemingly a reasonably comfortable retirement.

Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A friend just got back from Laos. He said things are really cheap there!

4. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ... and the troll answers the original question direct to the point .. :rolleyes:

IMHO 2k is ok money, but not if you want to have western standard.

Not many people would consider the things we eat here as food when they would get it served back home. Bread, cheese, meat, energy, gasoline cost more than in most western countries. You will not die with eating the local bread and the strange stuff they call cheese here. DI is full with questions where to find decent veggies, cheese, bread, even milk...

One post mentioned what can be done for less and that is all good (even I don't see any overpriced foreigner-restaurant at the boulevard, similar dishes cost way more in europe or the States), for younger people. When retiring I want at least the standard I had before.

Bottomline, if you want to have decent standard, your 2k will not allow you to save much of it for emergancies or travelling.

Make a list what you really want and need, not what you can survive on.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Good points! I agree with all of it except the price of bread. I find bread is cheaper in Dumaguete, even "good quality" bread, than the $4 plus a loaf bread here in California.

6. johnfitz

johnfitz DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Completely agree with you. I live with my gf from less than 1000euro a month very comfortable . Every word you say in your posting is right . especially about the restaurants.
    I can " do what i want" and " go where i want" within reasonable limits .I drive motobike and thats great ( escept the pollution) . A car here is just necessary for 2 reasons : to impress and if you have no raincoat :D . For the rest its just a big hindrance in many ways .

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I have a car, are you impressed? That was exactly my one and only reason to get a car so I can impress those with the same mentality as yours. I mean, why else would I get a car here. duh

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Pat agreed,

My reason on having a car is NOT to impress anyone, it's to keep my family much safer. Much safer than taking my 7 year old daughter back and forth to school on the back of a motorcycle. If that cut's my lifestyle back a little and cost's more I don't care.

Ron

9. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Pat, do you mean that you don't want the wife holding the new born on the back of a motor bike while negotiating the traffic here?

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Kenny, I am shocked too.... I am sure Ron and Pat are also those guys who try to drive sober WITH lights on...
    My god you foreigners really wanna bring the western world here. you need to adjust !!! drive drunk with 4 people and dog on your bike while texting !! or at least use a drunk trike driver without light.