Dumaguete Info Search

Living in the Phil. is getting more expensive

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope the economy will revive soon before we all run out of money. International airfare is around $2500.00 from America to almost anywhere outside the states. My wife has family in the Philippines and we can't aford the airfare to go visit them. The last time we checked, for two people a round trip ticket from where we live to Manila is nearly $4500.00. This economy is hurting everyone.

2. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Benn,

I just purchased two roundtrip tickets from LA to Manila for later this month for $1700 for both tickets on China Air. It will cost another $500 to go roundtrip from Oklahoma City to LA for both of us.:D :D :D

If you go during the off season and google "bucket shops", or discount airline fares international you can get some great deals. One of the best is Best Travel Store. If you travel during the Christmas season it will cost you a lot of money. Try something different if you really want to go.:p

The US markets should soon hit their lows and begin to bounce back up while the oil and other commodities markets will be more like a roller coaster and continue up til they get to a high that no one can predict then drop like a rock. This is not the first time for all time the US has been in a recession and it won't be the last.

The Philippines is still the best place to be imho.:smile: :D :D :D :D

3. azmaria

azmaria DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will be in manila next week April 7 ...what is the rate to now ?
    I will be helping people supplement their income .....know anyone looking for more pesos to ride the down time ?
    maria

4. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the rate is around 40 pesos to one American dollar. Keep in mind that not all Exchanger rates are the same. One Exchanger rate is barely 39 pesos to one American dollar.

5. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $4000.00 American dollars is a heap of money to spend in three weeks! Better watch your peso spending or you will be broke.

6. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rate now

azmaria,
    Two weeks ago, the peso rate at PNB (Philippine National Bank) was something like 40.1. I checked last evening, and the rate was 41.9000. However, I have learned that the peso rate, when exchanging American dollars into pesos, differs depending on the Exchanger. With one Exchanger the peso rate is barely 39. My suggestion to you is to look for the best rate Exchanger. I have no idea what the average peso rate in Manila is. From my experience, the peso rate depends on what the individual Exchanger offers, eventhough the average rate may be higher. Happy traveling...Benn

7. Roundisland

Roundisland DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Correct me if i am wrong but it went as low $1.00 =25 peso in 1995 for a couple of years...whats stopping it doing it again.

I guess currencies are never stable always fluctuating... I guess u have to build this into any plans that you make longterm.

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
  9. Roundisland

Roundisland DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have always wanted to dress as a french maid this could be my chance!

10. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is an old saying: "There are only two things in this world that are certain; death and taxes". Currencies are always fluctuating, they are never certain. Hopefully the economy will pick up. But when, who knows?