Dumaguete Info Search

Living in the Phils

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PhilT, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ooops... I wanted to say grammar is grade 2 and punctuation grade 3.

...,::;,."'' !?... here are some for free, please place them where appropriate.

Rhoody

2. OP
    OP
    PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Packing off your children to boarding er sorry INTERNATIONAL school and seeing them weekends is not my idea of a family unit, I want to be there for my children at all times, maybe that is not important for you but it is for me and my Wife. Also can I ask if it costs $7000 per year how do you finance this? you must have some good jobs there in the phils as foriegners. Let me in on your secrets. seriously I would be interested to know

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    ssssssstttt......secret

PhilT, we just rob some banks once a year (our own bank :smile: :smile:

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    :eek: I sell peanuts at the boulevard in my sparetime...

5. The Teach

The Teach DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is that all Rhoody?

I was interested in buying some DVDs and great big wooden ships.

Al.:smile:

6. cactusflower

cactusflower DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

Rhoody,
    You have been a little too hard on the schools of Dumaguete. You have been pounding on this notion every little chance you got. Duma/Phil schools may not have all the bells and whistles as the rich western schools, but I believe they have given their students a well grounded 4Rs (with added one R as in RESPECT). You have noted before that students spent most of their day
    texting..., well same is true in the western world, except that the kids also have X-boxes, Nintendos and a landline phones with free long-distance. Also bear in mind that most university kids are only 15 to 19 years old. Remember what you did when you were 15?

Your idea of what Philippine students are, is derived from your contact with a small number of the student population. Have you tried sitting in a university
    classroom listening to the dialog/discussion? How about series of debates and cultural/talent presentations at Luce. You should really widen your horizon before you can say that Duma school system is not worth a crap.

Wars, battles and racial tensions started with Generalizations.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    In the 7 years here in the PI i needed to be present (cause of my position at the place I worked) at hundreds of application-interviews and test with applicants of different educational level, from Hotel and Resortmangement to electrical engineering to Network-Management and webdesign... Maybe it is only a coincidence but we could not fill any of the "good" positions with people from Dumaguete... Now graduates from Cebu and other places work on that positions.

Maybe it is only bad luck, but it is my experience and you can check each single point if you want.

I would be completely happy to say that the schools here are great and on international standard. Buy my experience shows me that they are not. That will improve during the next years as Dumagute grows and more international companies and money will come into town...

Anyway, the thread is about European kids coming to the Philippines and the chances of a similar education. Again it is possible, but I still don't think in Dumaguete.

cheers

Rhoody

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    two of my cousin selling those stuff, we run a small family business... tell them you know me and you get discount...

9. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    When cactusflower asked him if he ever sat down in a University classroom listening to a dialog/discussion, Quote;"yes, I did, and not only once or twice and that at different grades and levels of education and courses... that is one of the reasons why I take the right to judge that..." He must have been an observer! :wink: Well well, lucky for him to have sat down with the students in a university classroom. lol :wink: Cactusf also asked him about series of debates and cultural /talent presentation, again at Luce, he did not answer that question. Silliman U is an international school as I've known the school ever since I was a toddler. A lot of my husband's friends and relatives went to silliman and were graduated there, beside being a great school, silliman is a lot cheaper compared to the schools here. People from africa, japan, thailand, india, middle east, etc. went to one of the best schools in the country and up until now, there are still many foriegn students and students from other regions of the country who are part of the students population not only in silliman, but also schools like FU, NURSU and Saint Pauls u. Saint Paul u also is rated as one of the best schools in PI, but behind silliman. Although he did not specify the name of the school in his comments, but I assumed he was talking about the schools in Dumaguete, in general.

10. TUYOM

TUYOM DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    he was setting in the classroom at west elem school