Dumaguete Info Search

Living in the Phils

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PhilT, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Pssst, Philt! I've noticed that, but I don't want to make anymore comment about it. Psst, thanks!

2. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    PhilT
    Many of us are envious of the heaqlth care systom and education system available in UK. I for one can't understand why you would want to leave that little bit of heaven. By the way, many of us are old enough to remember the sun setting on that paragon of international benevolence known as the british empire.
    Kenny

3. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    third visit to filipines (first visit 15 years ago) and you see huge improvements all over the place, it seems much more foreign friendly than it used to be. My first impression is that Dumaguete is developing pretty fast.

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    life's decision's

PhilT I am with you all the way on this one (even if I am a little late arriving)
    I am drawn to the thought of retirement possibly in Dumaguete, however the question of Health in later years is a big question.
    This is a bigger decision if it involves family as well as oneself. Children no matter what age will not want to leave friends and it is likely that some would not be able to adjust to life in a country in which they can't speak the language.
    What appeals to the Parents may not appeal to Teenagers although I think young children say 5-6 years old will adjust better to a new environment.

keep smiling:smile: ....regards John

5. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Maybe just rent a house and subrent your domestic home for a while, burning all bridges does not seem wise, if I move to filipines I guess I keep a bridgehead in Amsterdam (this place is just too nice to leave forever :wink:).

6. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  7. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    smells of an inside job...
    at least no one was hurt.

8. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    sad to know, but this kind of incident happened from time to time everywhere in Philippines.

9. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    just reading this whole thread again

if you want 1st world education you can not expect to get it a third world prices, then you got to do it the expat way and pay for an international school (still way cheaper here btw then in a 1st world country) and that binds you to either Manila or Cebu. That in itself gives some other problems, since if you are that rich you will have additional fear of your kids getting abducted (at least all I spoke who had children in that age group and money had).

That all education in the 1st world is great is a myth of course it also depends on the school and the level.

the standard of education in the Phi is not 3rd world but I guess second world and deteriorating for the common man, there are still plenty of foreign students comming to the country for education.

Home schooling seems an option, either way your kids will almost certainly return to their home countries when ready for Uni since there are just many more oportunities there.

Just a crazy idea maybe but why is nobody considering setting up their own private school? Private schooling seems normal and as expat community expands so might the need for such a school, besides there seems to be tons of foreigners who would like to get to the Philipines but not to the large cities and have the same issue, as well as a bunch of expats who are located in Duma and having their second family. And not to forget Filipino's who now live abroad and would like to get out of the rat race and go home but have similar issues about education.

I am still a bit in the dark about Sulliman Uni (they do have highschool as well), it is talked of highly in the Philipines but no idea how its highschool level relates to an international school).

A well I am likely ignorant but would not mind to be put in my place by some of the more experianced members here.

10. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Silliman

Just a note Silliman has preschool, elementary, and high school. I don't have personal knowledge of the quality but they have a good reputation.
    Kenny