Dumaguete Info Search

Living in the PI.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Jack Peterson, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonard

leonard DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had everything in a contract including fence gate etc. it is a small lot near hypermart.Everying but cieling fans is included, but cieling box's are there in each room. Also inserts for a/c, outside outlets and sill cocks. T he gate is a sliding type to which i will ad a moter with a remote control to make it easier to go buy beer.

2. Brucewayne

Brucewayne DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I also have a hot temper and a heart condition which impedes the amount of blood flow my heart can supply.
    Not a fatal flaw, but very uncomfortable when I overexert or become overexcited.
    My personality is also changing over the last 5 years, matching more to a laid back life here and less to the stressful workaday life I left in the States.
    I wasn't especially happy here for the first two years, but learned to love it after a lot of soul searching.
    I guess one has to be a bit poor or a hillbillie to fall in easily here and I was basically both.
    I mean, a lot of little things happen which I used to blow up bigger than life, but now I am able to blow them off with the least amount of frustration these days.
    I realized that a person can't come here or go anywhere else in the world to be happy if they are the unhappy type.
    One can leave a place behind, but one cannot, no matter how hard they try, to leave a place without being with the source of their unhappiness, themselves!
    I am much happier now that I figured out that I was the reason I was unhappy and for the most part, I caused my own stress.
    I did get away from a lot of stress when I came here and married my wife, was still homesick for a bit, but not so much once I realized that the stressful life I lead in the U.S. was basically killing me.
    Now I may not be as cool as a cucumber, but I am a heck of a lot slower to jump than I was several years ago.
    My wife is actually starting to notice the difference in me.
    I spend most of my time playing with our 3 year old daughter and when she naps, I work on computers, or goof off online.
    I also make sure Marci is in bed early so my wife (the other girl in my life) and I can have a little play time.
    Oh, I'm the guy who built CB radios, computers and drove over the road rigs all at the same time, almost literally!

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    In One!

:wink: Bruce, this is exactly what I was getting at, we do see people coming to the PI and expecting things to be the same as at home. We can't change anything here, no amount of shouting, table thumping will get us anywhere. Thank you for this honest and factual reply, I applaud you for your input. There have been a lot of 'As it is' replies and this one goes in my top 10.:smile: with others that have said, it as they see it and live it.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

4. BigJim

BigJim DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Such an encouraging post. My husband and I plan to tryout and hopefully move to Dumaguete in a few months. Good to read some good philosophies of life in the Philippines. We've always tried to go to a new place with the attitute that we adjust to their culture and not try to make them like our culture.
    Big Jim's Wife

5. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    For Lonedove,

Have you considered National Orthopedic Hospital ? It is a government hospital and should cost a fraction of St. Luke.

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    As I have read over again this tread, I find out that this is a conversation of barely 10 persons who in an unconditional way approve the Philippines as their perfect place.
    So be it.
    But do we really need to convince ourselves of the fact that live is nice?
    Is this a promotional campaign for a 7000+ island country?
    Or are we so insecure that we need help from outside.
    The Philippines is a paradise as you can see the beauty around you.
    But the Philippines has a long way to go to make it a paradise to live.
    As I said before, the place has a lot to offer in perfect circumstances but if it goes wrong there are better places in the world to return to normal life.

7. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi firefly,

I think this thread is a good place for people that are happy here to voice their opinion and that is ok by me. You are correct there are challenges in living here, but you can read all that stuff in other posts or all over other websites.

Cheers...Ron

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    This tread is about -Living in the PI- and that means rain or shine, not only the sunny days.
    Or does the PIstands for PINK in that case i apologise for misunderstanding the real meaning of this tread.

9. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The way I look at it is that if one has the capacity (or ability to discipline oneself) to enjoy living in the PI while not only taking in all the good & but learned the patience to tolerate the all bad aspects of living here as a foreigner (and let's not deny that the there are indeed quite a few), one should have the same capacity be be able to enjoy living most anywhere including the US and UK. I would agree with one member's comment from another post about the wife/GF (or the potential of getting one) being the biggest reason many expats chose PI for retirement.

10. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Make it your Paradise!

I agree with expatron and firefly!

Philippines is exactly what we make out of it. Open your eyes and smell the flowers or look down at the grave yard, that is you options.
    My home is where my HEART is, and with a wonderful Filipina wife with an outstanding possitive attitude I really don't care where I live. The most important thing is that we don't cry about how bad everything is..... sort it out and look at all the good things we have here..... we only live once, so make the best out of it.... Start your day with a smile and end it the same way.... Your ATTITUDE determines your ALTITUDE!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Benjamin & Princess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.