Dumaguete Info Search

Living in the PI.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Jack Peterson, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I moved here in 1979. first a year in Manila and then 15 years in Cebu. There were 3 local channels all Tagalog, no internet, and I got the news on the radio from the BBC or VOA. I had to book a call to the States and wait for a call back from the operator and they had to be collect. For part of the time I lived 35 klick from the nearest phone and a bus conductor would give me a message that I had a phone call so I could catch his return trip to get the call. My teeth were a lot stronger and I could eat the local beef. Good thing because that was all that was available. We complain about brownouts now. After Typhoon Ruping we were without service for 3 months. When I left for financial reasons (trying to do business here is a challenge) in 1995 to go back to the States was one of the saddest days of my life. When I finally got back here 2 and a half years ago was one of my happiest. I love it here and plan to be buried here.

2. leonard

leonard DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have been in and out of the PI since 84 and i remember the phone situation. (pldt). One day the pldt was not open and i neede a phone very bad, so i went to the mayors house in Pototan, ilo ilo. Mayor parcon was ver nice and we became friend's.Living in dumaguete now and would never go back to the states.I am from Chain O Lakes in northern il.

3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    They Keep Coming!

:smile: It is so odd, yet encouraging to see so many of the members here replying to this thread. Only Yesterday we had a comment, that a member did not understand the meaning of the thread (I am sure he did, just wanted to mix it a bit) yet! here we are, getting more and more positive post's and I for one, am now more than convinced that contrary to the few, we, the foreigners here on DI, are happy and intend to stay. Even when we take the rose coloured glasses off, we can see that life here is good, It has it's bad days but reading the post's, it is, for those of us who want it, a Paradise to be enjoyed.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I will jump in again, I sailed into Danao Cebu in 1997, at that time the only way to make an international call was to go to the phone company and pay P250 per minute. It's so much better now.
    I too will never leave, I have a wonderful family and enjoyable life.

Ron

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I lived in the "ultra everything" Singapore before I moved to the PI. I love it here and hate Singapore.

6. mike_7357

mike_7357 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    When I first told my family and friends it was my intention to retire and live in the Philippines I was met with a lot of opposition and every reason why I shouldn't go there. Now after traveling there over the last 4 years I've managed to change their perceptions, now they are jealous of the life that awaits me. The friendly smiling faces, beautiful beaches, etc, etc. Here in the UK we are faced with the Governments austerity measures, higher taxes, higher national insurance contributions and so on. I was asked by a friend to describe the Philippines i replied "its the closest you can get to heaven without actually dying" :smile: Am I happy? Yes I'm happy as I've a future to look forward to!

7. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Negativity

I am going to add my 2 centavos here. Regarding the negative comments. It has been my observation that negativity comes from those persons who are just miserable people all around. They will be miserable no matter where they are. And, unfortunately, misery loves company. It is best to just not feed the negative comments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Well said that man!

:eek: I could not have said it better or any other way, nail on the head, to the point and so correct. I applaud you permres!:wink:

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Jack, I think you hit the nail right on the head with this thread. I just looked at the following it has generated....1,329 views so far! Well done ....
    Ron

10. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    A big Thank You!

:wink: Thank You Ron! I have enjoyed the replies immensely, I do believe it has served it's purpose and I hope it will give good reading all round DI. It will never reach Jims Humour thread but I am so pleased it is being read! :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.