Dumaguete Info Search

Local Foods

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by JerryHeide, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Guys, food is very good in Negros . There is fresh sea food, pork and chicken.
    You can't find good a steak here though.

The big secret is that one has to know where to source, it how to cook it. willingness to pay for it

I notice that the ex-pats circulation and interests is rather limited. Meet more locals and maybe they will let you into the real Filipino social life.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hmm I was thinking the same about fresh fish until I read the report in a newspaper that last week some shops at the local fishmarket got warnings cause they "tuned up" the fish with Aniel and Tawas...

3. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Like I said, you have to know the sourcing. if you live near the beach, you might even get it direct from the fishermen. or their wives. Rule of thumb is, if it is too cheap, something must be wrong. Good fish in market ranges from 100 pesos to 250 per kilogram in the market. One can get in the Dumaguete market real good yellow fin for about P120. In Tanjay where we have lots of fishponds, we always get fresh shrimps and crabs.

Pork and chicken are good at Hypermart

Being a local, I learned early how to know l when fish is fresh.

4. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    "Pork and chicken are good at Hypermart"

But not as good as previously since the Monterey meat shop was closed. There is less choice for the shopper now. Seen any lean ground pork there lately? What about the previously large selection of frozen sausages?

It is just typical of the contempt in which customers of this store are held by its management. I say don't get mad - get even. I'll be buying my meat elsewhere!

5. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    True, I have noticed that too. I think the supply of meat to Dumaguete has been disrupted. This must be due to the infamous Tanjay bridge. Most of the meat supply comes from the north all the way from Bacolod. Since the temporary bridge does not allow big trucks, the have to use the detour. They have long waits to get thru. Most of them may have stopped plying the route.

Not too bad in Tanjay since our food is mostly locally sourced.It is adequate for us and if it does not satisfy the locals, we mostly go to Bais. But then, again, we are before the bridge.

Good idea to find other sources. The local market probably get their meat from local suppliers

6. OP
    OP
    JerryHeide

JerryHeide DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What is "Aniel and Tawas."?

Jerry.

7. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Aniel is laundry bluing and Tawas is alum. I've heard of similar stories. I don't know how true they are. Markets in general are monitored by the inspectors of local government.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    They are very true, as I have the information from a government employee, which works close with the authorities.

Same truth with "mixing" cheap rice to the expensive one.

Most of the bigger fish available here comes from far away. The few fishermen left in Bayawan go all the way down to Tawi Tawi to get the "big stuff". The trip takes a few days (one-way). Not that sure how much ice they see before reaching Bayawan again where they get into the coolers.

For fresh meat you can go early to the market and pick the part you want 5 minutes after the pork got slaughtered. It won't get any fresher than this...

9. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Gotta try the "Calderetta Iro"* too, absolutely deeeelicious!:D (*The goat that barks......):eek:

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    is it a dog :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.