Dumaguete Info Search

Local gestures? Local terms?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ronv8917, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Oh hell, I'm so lucky to read these experiences from other foreigners :smile:
    I had many times a 'little' argument with my sweatheart when she AGAIN was very UNspecific, or telling me "there" without seeing her pointing to any direction (untill I finally saw her 'moulded' sweetlips :D).
    The most irritating was (like the experiences from Ron) when driving and telling me 'stop there' after having passed that spot already or just at the moment you pass it with a speed of 50 till 80 km/hr :smile:
    Thanks God I'm not the only one having a beautifull 'pro-active' woman in my car c.q. at the back of the motorbike :D
    Thanks for sharing !
    And YES JB, finishing a sentence is waste of energy when we should be able to easily guess what honneponney is meaning. Sharing this is making the pain smaller.
    I'm very curious how my own family will cope with these fenomena when they meet her !

2. Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK

LIP pointing...

Fpr the last 3 years, I though my wife was all the time pointing with her chin. Now I understand a little better. Gotta look closely to the lips, to get more detail from the point.

As far as the late directions, I can relate. When we venture onto the "fly over" or expressway, the signs are only there to tell you which way you are going, once you have already exited. There is no advanced warning.

The same holds true, for directions from wifey.

3. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Dong my friend. Do you mean that you didn't know about lip pointing for 3 years. You poor guy........

And for the highway signs.....I hate to keep refering to Saudi, but they got no highway signs at all. Not before or after the fact. I asked one of my drivers how he knew where to go. He said "I just know" (whatever that means).

And today I took the LTO class and written exam and learned all of the rules that are supposed to be......but aren't......and during break I asked the instructor if Jeepneys and buses had a different set of laws..... I don't think he understood my "American humor".

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    "I asked the instructor if Jeepneys and buses had a different set of laws..... "

LMAO! ROFL!!!

5. Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    LOL

I think the only real rule of the road, here in the Philippines, is the bigger vehicle ALWAYS has the right of way.

6. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thank you Knowdafish for appreciating my "American humor". When I said that to the LTO Instructor, all I got was a blank stare.

And on one more funny (?) note from class. The instructor started explaining hand signals for turns, and he asked "what is the correct signal for a left turn", and another young man stuck his left leg out to the side (yes, I see that one being used a lot). The instructor instantly replied "they are called hand signals, not foot signals" then added "legs and feet are not acceptable by law".

Hell, I guess a leg and foot is better than nothing at all......

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I guess it could be worse! A lip signal! LMAO!!

8. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Knowdafish...... I think you've answered a question...... So, maybe when I am behind someone and I don't see them signal for a turn, they could be using "lip pointing" signals. I never thought about that.

9. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    PH driver's license

Hi,

In your posting of May 20 this year (topic ARC-card) you mention to know somebody who did arrange for your PH driver's license @ a fixed price of 2.500,00 pesos. Can you give me contact details of that person so he will arrange it for me as well. Have a driver's license of my home country.
    You can contact me by email: stevinsonboy@msn.com or text to my cp:

Thanks for your help.

RR_biker

10. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Emails are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.