Dumaguete Info Search

Looking for employer

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by christ, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Someone's holding back....

Even at minimum wage, which is highly unlikely for a caregiver is at $7.25 usd per hour (and $10.88usd for OT per hour), that would still equate to about $1,200 a month before OT.

According to Salary List....

The average STARTING annual salary for a caregiver in California is $30,548 (1,360,000+ pesos), in Florida it is $28,177usd (1,256,000+ pesos). I'd say that's pretty BIG bucks for most earning a living in Asia including Filipinos.

CAREGIVER Jobs Salary by States, Real Starting, Average Salary

2. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't forget, that caregivers more than likely get free room and board with weekends off. Hardworking Filipinas usually take most of the weekend hours too and maybe take off only once a month. Very often they have relatives or townmates within commuting distance and they spend their weekends off with them. In the US the going rate is usually about 2k. If they send half of that home, that is enough to send their children or nephews and nieces to college. Most of these arrangements are successfull, of course a few don't work out. The clannishness of Filipinos helps in their survival abroad. We always noted in the US that there is hardly a Filipino who is homeless. There is always a relative or a kababayan who will give you food and shelter.

3. slacker

slacker DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can get salary that's 1700-2000 as a caregiver, we'll all be happy for you! that would make things a bit easier.

I'm just saying, before going for the $$, also consider the cost of living. With friends and family where you go, that would help expenses, not to mention the lonely holidays. I hear it's always the first Christmas that's hard.

Also try to balance the salary with the benefits, the type of employer you have, and the provisions on your contract.

4. Gene

Gene DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi;
    To find a job in a specific country, you have to do a research first on their respective embassies in the Philippines to find out the requirements and qualifications to evaluate yourself if you fit with their requirements. Then if you think that you have what it takes then contact an agency that deals with the job search and requirements that involved and go from there.Thanks!

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I can assure this person that the US is not an option. In order to qualify for B1-B2 visa one must have a specialty skill that their employer can prove to USCIS they cannot fullfill locally. The employer must petition them. Caregiver is not consdered a specialty skill by USCIS.

Canada, I understand, IS an option for caregivers.

Larry

6. Gene

Gene DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Larry & Christ;
    Yes, Canada for now the best option to my Countryman-needs only to fullfill the two years contract as caregiver then will have an opportunity to apply for immigrant status(can work anywhere you like/want) if you get through or qualify for the Canadian Government strick caregiver program qualifications.As usual if you have the resources/money-tons of Pesos, can buy qualifications in Manila, Quiapo- to satisfy all the requirements, once they issue you a working visa in your passport as "contract worker" then you're home free.

7. Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A caregiver job pays very low in the United States. I don't know where some of these people are getting these crazy salery quotes of 28k-30k. It sounds like someone is blowing smoke up your *ss. My wife was a CNA nurse and only made 8 bucks an hour and it was a dirty job to do. She was lucky to even earn that wage. Had she been an RN nurse then we would be sitting pretty making big money. Thats why she quit being a caregiver here in America. These retirement homes hire these illegals and legal immigrant caregivers because nobody wants to do this disgusting job. They use the fancy names like CNA nurse or caregivers, but they are no more than a bed pan maids or janitors taking care of nasty old people with one foot in the grave. Look at the Vilma Santos movie called caregiver except this job pays low wages. Do yourself a favor and go back to school and learn a real skill. Try to become a RN Nurse or learn computer skills, thats where the money is at right now. Stop watching tv hollywood shows of filipinos making a big success in America, It's only fantasy. I see many filipinos here struggle very hard to make a living cause they thought it's easy to make money here only to learn that they would sometimes be better off at home doing a family business instead. There are millions of Americans out of work right now and people are losing their homes as well. Think about it, do you want to really work here in the United States and live in poverty as a caregiver?

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Thank you for your REALISTIC portrayal of caregiver jobs in the US. I agree 110%.

Larry

9. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nobody mentioned healthcare expenses. Many employers will keep your hours low enough that you won't qualify for company paid healthcare benefits and you will probably make too much to qualify for state assisted healthcare. If the unfortunate happens and you end up in the hospital or really ill, you will end up at the mercy of free clinics and state funded hospitals to pay your bills, and you may not even be able to find help at some of these places, it would be a very scary position to be in. Some of these places will still require you pay a percentage of the costs based on your pay, and this will take all the money you thought you would be sending home. I am just being realistic, you have to think about these things. (Of course, in the U.S., when the "socialized medicine" plan kicks in, everything will be MUCH better!}

10. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks for clarifying that Steve. With the other posts I was beginning to think my daughter's experience was unique. Four years ago $9 an hour no health care or other benefits, but all the bedpans she could handle, or more usually, all the adult diapers she could change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.