Dumaguete Info Search

Looking for SCUBA stuff

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by SurfinUSA, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm not having much luck in finding a cheap dive hood, and some anti-fog solution in a bottle for my mask in Dgte. Guess my wife can get by with just a swim cap while snorkeling, but any type of hood would be nicer.

2. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    try smearing toothpaste on the inside of the mask and washing it out - it works as well (or better than ) most anti-fog solution and makes your mask smell minty fresh : )

I havent seen any hoods here - most people only wear them in colder water

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hi,
    the toothpast is just to take the silicon film off before you use it the first time. the anti-fog is produced in a factory north of manila, where all employees spit in coffee-filters and sell the small bottles for 5 Dollars. You can purchase them in Dumaguete at different dive-shops (around 5$). Better is the old fashiond way of spitting into it. The best is the oil of papaya leaves. This trees grow here everywhere. Take a small part of the leave, make it wet and clean your mask linse with it before tou dive.
    Ear warmers are also better than a hood, for around 10$ available. If you are in Dumaguete, Mike from Diving - Adventure down the Boulevard can organize that for you if he does not have that on stock, or you go to a bigger DS in the Dauin Area (e.g. Atlantis) they have the stuff there.

cheers

Rhoody

4. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too ad I didn't catch this sooner. I won't question why you need a dive hood in the tripics. I have seen women wear them but I think it's to keep their long hair from getting tangled in the mask strap and to to prevent that straw like conditioning salt water can leave you with...whatever. Give me a shout if you still need a hood. I'll bring you one I'm not using in January. I shure would like to know where I can get some quality defog and not someone elses spit in DGTE. I couldn't find any either and when I bring some from Canada, it sprouts legs and disappears.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I guess you did not look proper, Defogger is available in each diveshop in Duma. "Artificial spit" from Europe, Canada or US has no better or worse quality then those available here. If a mask fogs has a lot to do with the brand of the mask (Mares fog faster then Cressi for example). Also how you treat it before you go diving with it the very first time. If you sweat under water, if you have lotion in your face.
    The best is still the oil of papaya leaves, try it when you are here and you throw all "artificial spit" into the trashbin...

cheers
    Rhoody

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    De-fogger...that's so 1980's....LOL...save money....just open and fill the mask with water and clear it...as needed. Helps keep the sinuses clear too....

7. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rhoody...can I just call you Rude for short, do you think I'd make my post if I was able to find any ? Go to Scuba Ventures and ask Snoopy if he had any for me last winter.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    chuck, you even can write it in small letters, rude. Atlantis, El Dorado, Sea Explorers, Scubaworld, Adventure-Diveshop, they all have the Artificial Spit. If you cant find it I still say you did not look proper. Snoopy is a great guy, fantastic instructor and one man of the first hour here, but I would not consider Scuba Ventures as a "state of the art" diveshop, to be polite, not Rude... Just tell me how many liters you want, I am Happy to organise them for you. If you fly in over Manila or Cebu you can get them there also in some shops.

cheers

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.