Dumaguete Info Search

Looks like a sweetlip

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This picture is taken in Apo Island Marine Reserve February 27 - 2007

It is around 20 cm. long and wiggled a bit when swimming.

Attached Files:

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Sweetlips use their PECTORIAL Fins to move and that explanes what you are telling . The species could be belonging to the GATERIN Genus , but the family of sweetlips has many species that resemble and the other problem is that they vary a lot within in Juvenile or adult colorphase.Having a second look , it looks more to me a Ephinephelus( grouper kind) this by judging the eyes . The eyes are very much extended , which is not with sweetlips at all , but with grouper as their eyes are bigger for adaption as result of their more nocturnal way of life. Finaly ,Sweetlips fail to have the Anal fin , which ( correct me if I am wrong) is to be seen clearly on the leftside just before the Pinna Caudalis (tail) If I could have a pictures from the side taken , I could give you a 100% sure on this one.. For the time being ..pretty much sure .. a grouper named Epinephelus merra . Also called HONEYCOMB Grouper .
    THis as the dark spots resemble the Honeycomb structure The picture attached is of a Formaline preperation specimen and therefore somewhat different . However notice the Anal fin and the pattern.
    The other picture is of a live one . Within Ephinephelus there are LOTS of species that "look a like " . Also the pattern changes from juvenile to adult .

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.