Dumaguete Info Search

Maid/Houseboy?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by jss, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't get helpers from areas where you don't want you business known.

If they're locals from your own street, all of your neighbors are going to know all of your business.

Some people might not want that.

2. John

John DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's pretty much guilty until proven inoccent in the Phils.... you might not have to do anything :smile: The two nightmare stories I have heard did involve people doing things, but still it was a stitch up. One English guy wouldn't pay the bribe and roasted out in the city Jail for a few months... he paid in the end (but good on him for standing up to extortion).

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Yes, I've heard a few horror stories too....and not just in the behaviour arena.....known a few Filipinos caught out too...One thing, no matter who you hire...make sure you get the maid tested for TB and hepatitis...it happens..

I've also been told that the older maids can be more aggravation than they're worth. They 'know it all' and tend to get up the wife's nose fairly quick. Better to get a younger one that can be trained the way you want, with good references from people you know (but definitely not a relative of the wife - less inclined to work). To add to pickled newts post...a retired German and his wife were killed two months ago on Bohol...new maid was arrested and the evidence strongly suggests her involvement..accomplices still at large. References from people you know...for sure...

4. OP
    OP
    jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    scary

scary scary scary talaga!!
    bas****s n bit***s!!!

5. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you don't want your business known then you shouldn't hire domestic helpers....in Philippines or anywhere.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Could be right, body guards whether trained or not can serve as cushioning bullets and serve distracting the assassins.Well lucky for Dodong Teves ,he was saved by his bodyguard who got all the bullets after a shoot out outside the Dgte cockpit aimed at him ,this was in the late 90's.

7. puti-tigbaw

puti-tigbaw DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No one ever thought about a girl that will go to school during the day and helps the woman afterwards with the household. In turn she or he will get school housing food and clothes and certain other things like pocket money.

My mother in law does that she helped 4 persons through highschool like that.

8. OP
    OP
    jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats child labor. Its illegal. Many have minor maids/houseboys i guess, but strickly speaking, its illegal. This might not be a problem for locals, but if expat is caught doing it, however well-intentioned he may be, he can be in heap of trouble...

9. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think the poster is thinking about a decent situation here jss. Not the 62 year old foreigner putting his 17 year old "maid" through high school.

10. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That situation works well for everybody. She must be a good lady.