Dumaguete Info Search

Malapascua Island - North Of Cebu Island

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by OnMyWay, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Needed a break last week and decided to head off to Malapascua Island. I had seen pics of it and heard about it so put it on my list of places to visit.

Quite a few of you have sent me messages asking me about transportation, how to get to places i put in my reports, etc. So, I'll put more of that detail in these reports from now on, starting here. With that in mind, I took different modes to/from Malapascua to give you and idea of options available.

Left Dumaguete and took the 7am Ocean Jet Boat to Cebu. 900P for tourist class, 1200P for business class and we arrived into cebu 4 hours and 20 minutes later at 1120 am. Took a taxi (62P on the meter) to Diplomat hotel (1360P a night) where I met a buddy from Pampanga. He flew Cebu Pacific from Clark to Cebu and was excited to join us going to Malapascua.

Spent that day running around SM Cebu, Taoist Temple and then dinner and drinks at Ayala Mall that evening. Bed early as the 6am alarm was going to really make for some short sleep. 650am and walked out of the Diplomat hotel and took a metered taxi to the Northern Bus Terminal which was 72P on the meter. 735am we were all on the Ceres Bus bus to Maya, Cebu. Fare is 90P and 4 hours later we stood at the Maya Pier. Took a pump boat across to Malapascua and the fare was 100P each for the pump boat and 30 minutes. 1230PM and we were on Malapascua and ready for lunch.

I had researched Hotels and picked Cocobana hotel at 2400P a night. That was a mistake!! The very next morning, we checked out and moved to Sunsplash 2000P a night which is where I will most definitely stay when I go back next time. Very good rooms and the owner is hands-on.

Malapascua is small. 2km long and 1 km wide. There are no cars at all. We walked the entire island and what fantastic scenery. Water at all the resorts is salt water showers but that didn't bother me at all. I thought it would but really never took much notice of it. the main focus is diving here. I don't dive and neither does the princess. But, i'm told the diving is awesome.

By now, you've heard about enough of my rambling so here's some pics i took during the 3 nights there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
  3. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Scoff choices....

Ning Nings: home baked bread, decent food, cheap option on the island. Ate three meals there

La Isla Bonita: Pastas are good as was the greek salad. At there twice and most meals averaged about 350P each

Malditos: Tried this the final night and WOW...what an awesome scoff. Seafood Jumbalaya was to die for! Mentioning it today to some people here in Dumaguete and no real surprise, was told Malditos is owned by the same owner as Why Not here in Dumaguete and that's also great food.

Sunsplash: Baguettes are good at 220P! Bread imported from German bakery in Bogo, Cebu. Shakes are costlier than most at 130p-180P but they are far bigger than most and are GREAT! One exception...strawberry shake was flavorless as they simply dont put enough strawberries in it. Would not order the spaghetti carbonarra again...chunky gooey like a glob of sticky rice! And, the Chicken curry was VERY small portion for the 260P price tag.

Here's how we returned to home....this gives yet another option for transportation. 100P boat back to Maya Pier and stepped direct into an aircon GTS express van that holds 12 Passegers. Locals, and those speaking any of the language, pay 110P fare. The rest, pay 160P fare! :funnyanimation12: That was 3 hours exact and we arrived at the SM Mall in Cebu where we were dropped. Stepped off the van and into a taxi to Diplomat hotel 68P meter fare.

We spent nights in Cebu each way but certainly not necessary. From Cebu to Dumaguete we took a taxi to the Southern Bus terminal 42P fare and got an aircon bus to Santander/Lilo-an pier at 163P. This bus was VERY comfortable and i really enjoyed it. The bus drops direct at the pier and where we walked 6 feet to the ticket booth and paid 62p for the 25 minute boat ride to Sibulan. In sibulan hired an EZ Ride for 400P to take us direct to my house in Dauin.

So, travel time with the boat and the bus is nearly identical at about 4.5 hours. However the boat costs 1800P for 2 people where the bus costs 320P for 2 people. I will say that this bus was FAR more comfortable and better leg room than the boat. It was a great ride and I suspect I won't be using the boats again.

And now, a couple smiling locals from Malapascau
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the Masskara festival in Bacolod in 2 weeks!

Cheers guys,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.