Dumaguete Info Search

Marriage License Process

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Aug 17, 2010.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The spousal visa process will take 7-10 months, depending on whether or not you file a K3, and where you must file from. If you can prove you reside in the Philippines this timeframe can be as low as 3-4 months by filing directly to the Manila Embassy, but otherwise you must file from the US.

You must be able to show that your income level is 125% above poverty level or better.

First you file I-130 application for alien relative. When you get approval for that you can then send in form I-129F to facilitate the K3 process. Whichever visa you use she will need a medical exam at St. Lukes in Manila, and an interview at the manila Embassy. She will also need a CFO seminar, and a personal appearance at DFA Cebu to get a passport.

There is a spreadsheet showing differing timelines and costs here;

Types of Visas

Larry

2. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Thank you Larry. Now I am wondering if I merely want to take her to the US for two weeks for a honeymoon, not to reside, and we both reside here, if we are stuck with the same sh__ty lengthy and combersome process? That is all I am after. If so, I will have to reengineer my plans and my US relatives come here to meet her. Thanks

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

That's not so easy either. Tourist visas for Filipinos are VERY hard to get. From what little I know of you and her, I would say her chances at present are near 2%. This will go up in time if you establish permanent resident status, have a home here, business, etc..

Larry

4. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I am more optimistic than 2% odds and have emailed the US Manila Embassy for more information on the K-3 visa stating: I am married to a filipina (will be Sept 4), I have a permanent Philippines visa, we are having a house built that is near completion, own a car, I no longer have a residence in the U.S., and only requesting a 14 day tourist visa. Perhaps that will increase my odds to 4% or 5%. A concern is one website said Homeland Security is not presently issuing K-3 visas, not sure how current or accurate that info is. F_____g 911 changed lives forever.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    A K3 is not a tourist visa, it is a visa to allow a recipient to enter the US while their I-130 spousal visa is being processed. In order to apply for a K3, you must first have an active spousal petition.

A tourist visa is a B2 visitor visa.

If you have a permanent visa (13?) and are building a house, you may have better chances than I previously stated. If denied the first time, then the chances get better the more times you apply. If you just keep applying at $131 a pop, sooner or later she is likely to get one.

Larry

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Famly member visa?

Is there another temporary visa for family members? We have several acquantances that have sponsored mothers and fathers and they were able to spend months in the US (most did not like it and returned to the PI) but my wife was never good at getting any information from them.

Hope you never have to go the other way PatO, when I petitioned my wife to join me in the states it took almost two full years to get the visa and yes many trips to Manila with the never ending interviews and screenings.

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Thanks Pedro. With age comes wisdom; that is with what's left of burnt out brains cells from military, marriages, and mis-management of funds. Going the other way, as you so mentioned, is a high cost option for some semi-retired persons, as it is easy for one to calculate, in my case, the cost of retiring in San Diego compared to the cost of retiring in Bacong! Moreover, there is a filipina shortage in San Diego. Too bad it is so d*mn difficult to take the bride home and show her off for a couple of weeks, then return to paradise.

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Thank you Larry, I will research the B2 visa on the net and hopefully it is an improved process, didn't see it on the embassy website, very helpful!

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There are two options for getting parents to the US. The first is the tourist visa. However, there is no "sponsor". The parents must stand on their own and convince the interviewing officer that they have reason to return.

The second is the I-130 alien relative petition. (Yes, the same petition as for the wife) Parental petitions are "sponsored" currently running about one year.

Sounds like it would have been much cheaper to pay someone's help that knew what they were doing for your wife's petition, unless it was 10 years or so ago or more.

Larry

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Go here;

Embassy of the United States of America in Manila

Also the visa application fee has recently gone up, from the $131 I quoted to $140.

Larry