Dumaguete Info Search

Marriage License Process

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,215 / 1,090
    Wow!

:( Criskey PatO! I was only talking about the time to get a new PI passport in a New name for your Wife, I never realised all the other things will happen as well. Mind you, I knew Shadow would have the answer. We have only been married 2 years, she decided to have a new passport in our married name. 1 Trip to Cebu, 1 seminar and 1 Interview plus a lot of paperwork just for that. Then She had to wait 21 days to receive it. ( The Passport I mean ) Luckily she has already got a Visa for the UK and a Schengen Visa for Spain so it is only 3 weeks for the name change.
    Life can be a b*tch But I know and sense you will rise to it. Have a Fantastic Wedding and just post those Photos! :wink:

Jack P. :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,576 / 1,017
    Plan B, Honeymoon Recommendations

All of the responses have been informative and greatly appreciated. Even though the tasks are onerous, I can now manage expectations here and abroad. Near term, her PI passport will be the priority.
    Side Bar: Any recommendations for a Bohol or Cebu "nice" resort for a honeymoon getaway; snorkeling, good food, low mosquito population? Not Shangri-la. First couple nights will be at Atmosphere partying with friends coming in for the wedding. Cheers

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,576 / 1,017
    Marriage Surname Change Process

Can anyone pls tell me the NSO or whatever process and timing for getting my wife's surname changed to mine? I believe her maiden name becomes her middle name.
    Related question, my actual goal is to get her a Philippines passport, does anyone know if I can apply for her passport in my surname without going through the forementioned process, as long as I have our marriage license? Thanks

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    My wife already had a passport and it took several weeks to get the name changed on it. I dont know what their process is for a new passport, sorry.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,215 / 1,090
    Passport!

:( Hi patO, Well my friend, I did say to you that the process was a long one, any local marrying a foreigner has to attend The seminar, The Interview, Then it is a 3 week wait for the passport. The NSO,BDI,LTO will all do the Name Change on the Marriage Contract (Certificate) for their part but these can take 2/3 weeks and sometimes longer. The Name change on a passport or a new Passport in her new name, Well now that is a Different Story. I think you will find that your trip to Cebu will be as soon after the wedding as possible, Go to a Good Agency (passport) in Town and they will arrange a date for the seminar for you. like the Marriage Seminar they are block booked Pat.
    I hope all is well for the wedding, as before I do wish you all the Best. :wink:

Jack P.

6. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hi pato,

where you get married in the church or in a legal office like city mayor's office or to the judge after the marriage they should be the one that will forward your certificate to the local civil registrar and then the local civil registrar will forward it in NSO dumaguete and NSO dumaguete will forward it to NSO manila which is the main office then from the time it was forwarded from NSO dumaguete you have to wait for one month to register it. And for the change of the surname of your wife if you want that she get your surname in her passport then you have to apply it in cebu DFA then you have to indicate their that she want to adopt your surname it in the application and you need to bring marriage certificate to prove it. And if I am not mistaking sir you need to attend a seminar in the DFA with your wife.

As for my experience my love and I was married in the hall of justice branch 38 was done by a lady judge they where really nice to us and made our process very quick the most wonderful was our weeding ring was not done and we have no witnesses so we made ceremony with out our ring and out witnesses are the personnel's working for the judge. WE told them our situation that we are running back the time to get married so we could be on time before my husband's visa will expire and I will be able to come with him here in Italy. So right after the ceremony one assistant of the judge came with us to the civil registrar of dumaguete and have it registered and after one day it was registered and we got the marriage certificate from the local registrar then brought it in the NSO dumaguete but they told us that they can not registered it there by can only forward the request of registration then the main office of NSO which is in manila will give them a respond once it is done then that is the time you can get NSO authenticated marriage certificate. So since my love and I have no so much time then we went to manila and have it registered by our self. It took us 3 days to registered it we have to explain our situation in the head officer luckily within 3days they did it for us when we have to request for our NSO certificate it took us one whole day from morning 9 am to 8 pm we need not came back home until we did not have it in the hand hehehhe they have to close the office but we where still inside.

So sir if you really want faster then register it by your self because the office that should have to do it need to collect all other papers that needs to be registered then bring it all together so they really need time. I hope this helps good luck sir ...

7. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    For me sir i did not change my surname I am still using my father's surname even in my italian passport I have the same surname. But it is always a personal choice. But if this is the first time that your wife will get a passport then I should say that you will save time in the future because you will have not to do the same thing again just to change the surname. If you go in the website of the DFA in think they shoud have an instruction to apply for new passport that you can have an appoinment online just try sir actually I have not done it my self. But i will try to see later. If I can still help just post your message sir. good day

8. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    sir I forgot to mention that this was my experience 4 years ago. I just don't know if their are major changes as of now. maybe some members in this forum have some better information about the changes if their is any.

9. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,576 / 1,017
    Thank you Claire.

10. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,215 / 1,090
    Passport/name change!

:rolleyes: Pat! when you have exhausted all the shortcuts to no avail, let us know When you are going to Cebu!

Have a Good Wedding no matter what!:wink:

( Do some Thread Searching for the Fence/Gate/Wall Builder, this was a topic only a few weeks ago!)

Jack P. :smile: