Dumaguete Info Search

McDonalds in Dumaguete City

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

You'll be alright Kuya,God loves you ,just reduce your visits to McDo,coz u might get fat,Marilyn might not like it,:D :wink: lol.

To be honest I pop in at McDo but rarely .I only eat the burger. I always ignore the chips ,neither uses their paper as receptacle for the ketchup.Just worried about ingesting too much dioxins .But here I am still alive and happy and I think God loves me too.:smile:

2. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I totally understand what you are saying here...Some people here like Dumaguete to stay the way it is now. On the other hand, there are also those who want it to have some amenities that big cities are having so that they won't have to travel long to get what they want. Perhaps discussions like this help us to come up with a Dumaguete that we all want to live in and die for...

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Fair enough echir. My usual stomping ground is Bacolod (have relatives there and like the place)...and I didn't see Robinsons or Gaisono's destroying the city by their entry (far from it actually..most people think that these malls are great)..Hardly think one McDonalds means the end of Dumaguete either....Tagbilaran has had one for years, and it is still the quaint friendly town it always was...

You can't stop population pressure or progress very often. If there is a niche...the market tends to fill it...

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Very extreme opinion against McDonalds coming in Dumaguete but also some respect for other people's opinions and choice is important to remember .Using some swearing and destructive criticisms to put ones strong views across don't help either.
    The solution is so simple.For people who hate McDos ,then never go and feel its presence.I am pretty sure McDo's would never force-feed their burgers and french fries.:D :wink: :eek: :p

5. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    what I can't understand is all these people are happy with malls etc
    then why don't they move to a bigger city?
    Why choose dumaguete in the first place if they don't like it?
    Dumaguete is totally different from almost any other city in the Philippines
    or asia for that matter as its still quite nice, has some nice architecture , is not too noisy or polluted but build big malls and the place will start to snowball, with more traffic, more pollution, crime and increased prices and it will become like any other place.
    As for Macdonalds its a fact that as an adult you are advised not to eat more than 60 grams of Fat a day or eat much more than 2000 calories, if you want to remain healthy and not die of a heart attack prematurely. A big mac meal with fries and coke has over 1000 calories and has about 50 - 60 grams of fat. Ie almost all your daily allowance in one go, not to mention all the trans fat as well.
    Most governments are happy to clamp down on drugs etc whilst allowing
    Macdonalds to open and poison their population that way.
    As a kid I loved it but once you are an adult and you still like the sickly sweet
    fat laden taste of it then you really have got some issues that should be dealt with.
    asides from the health issue, A macdonalds makes a place look tacky and above all do you really want to support Corporate America?
    Think about it and educate yourselves

6. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    what I can't understand is all these people are happy with malls etc
    then why don't they move to a bigger city?
    Why choose dumaguete in the first place if they don't like it?
    Dumaguete is totally different from almost any other city in the Philippines
    or asia for that matter as its still quite nice, has some nice architecture , is not too noisy or polluted but build big malls and the place will start to snowball, with more traffic, more pollution, crime and increased prices and it will become like any other place.
    As for Macdonalds its a fact that as an adult you are advised not to eat more than 60 grams of Fat a day or eat much more than 2000 calories, if you want to remain healthy and not die of a heart attack prematurely. A big mac meal with fries and coke has over 1000 calories and has about 50 - 60 grams of fat. Ie almost all your daily allowance in one go, not to mention all the trans fat as well.
    Most governments are happy to clamp down on drugs etc whilst allowing
    Macdonalds to open and poison their population that way.
    As a kid I loved it but once you are an adult and you still like the sickly sweet
    fat laden taste of it then you really have got some issues that should be dealt with.
    asides from the health issue, A macdonalds makes a place look tacky and above all do you really want to support Corporate America?
    Think about it and educate yourselves

7. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I won't lose ten seconds sleep over whether or not Dumaguete has a McDonalds to be honest. I can only say that they have changed their menu considerably here in Oz to address health concerns. They still offer the rubbish for those that want it though (which from time to time - includes me - although I'm just as likely to eat the 'healthy stuff'). I would hope that they do the same in the Philippines. In addition, down here they are very well known for being a responsible and caring corporation sponsoring charities and giving a lot back to the community. Again...I would hope it is the same in Dumaguete. Lastly, I reckon they would provide 40-50 good jobs to people, who otherwise, likely wouldn't have one in Dumaguete.

It's up to the residents whether they want it or not. I'm Australian but I'm smart enough to recognize that corporate America has provided much of what I use on a daily basis...ie from the second I turned this computer on for example...I don't have a problem with that...Anyway, be interesting to see the outcome there....Tagbilaran survived...

8. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Tagbilaran is a dump with a severe case of tricycle itis.
    I would hardly refer to it as quaint. There are two cities in the whole of the Philippines I would class as nice. They are Puerto Princessa and Dumaguete
    and i'm sure its of no coincidence that neither has a Macdonalds yet..
    Get a Maccy D's and its countdown to doomsday

9. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There must be a solution for your concerns, and we should think hard about it. On the other hand, it is good not to sacrifice progress for the sake of preserving the quaintness and serenity of our place...And one of the solutions, maybe, is to go high end...With this I do not mean that everything should be expensive, but that everything put in our place should be a product of careful thinking and artistic imagination...

10. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yabs...

Do malls and a large corporate presence drive population growth, or are these the result of a growing population? Dumaguete is growing, and there isn't much you can do to stop it. Sadly, the quaint towns of the world are becoming victims of overpopulation. If I'm not mistaken, Dumaguete is one of the few places on all of Negros Island that has at least a semblance of opportunity for people, so people will continue to flock there.

Maybe time should be spent tackling the growing drug problem, which will destroy Dumaguete much more quickly than one fast food restaurant. At least with the McDonald's will come job opportunities. It is a sign of economic progress, which tends to come at the expense of "quaintness".

It's almost 2007 and the world is growing faster than ever. Dumaguete will grow with it. You have to accept this. Trust me...I share your concern about Dumaguete losing its unique character. However, I think the vigilante groups have done much to tarnish this gentle image already. I keep up with the news, and I'm quite sure the crime I read about isn't caused by a restaurant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.